1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murray Chass calls Richard Sandomir a "twit"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Say what you will about Murray (and I have) but he's fundamentally correct.

The Hunter case was a breach of contract because Oakland had failed to meet a deadline for offering him a new contract. It had nothing to do with the overall issue of free agency.

Flood lost his case and it's generally believed that outcome strengthened the owners' resolve to not negotiate free agency with the players. I guess it can be argued that Flood's willingness to fight the issue helped push it, but there was no tangible progress from his case.

The breakthrough was Messersmith-McNally.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The worst one was the Pierce-Simmons feud. Two rich assholes putting on a WWF smackdown show for everybody, then hiring each other afterward.

3. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

All of these feuds are crap.
    I could walk into my corner bar and nobody - nobody - would know who any of these tools are.

4. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

Yeah. Media writers ain't rock stars.

5. Joe Lapointe

Joe Lapointe Member

Strange to read of this spat involving two of my former co-workers at The Times.
    Chass was one of the best baseball writers of his generation. He elevated the craft.
    Sandomir was ---- and is ----- among the most versatile and hard-working reporters I've ever known.
    He works as hard as Chass did, and that's saying something.
    Two minutes each for roughing.
    (P.S. Richard is also a theatre expert).

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Who gets the instigator penalty?

7. Joe Lapointe

Joe Lapointe Member

Hmmmmm.
    Considering that the initial scrum involved two other guys, we'll have to give Chass an extra two minutes for ``third man in.''

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Have to side with Murray on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted