1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murdoch folds "News of the Screws"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 7, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And now the whistleblower, Sean Hoare, is dead.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/news-of-the-world-sean-hoare

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Simply incredible.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That editorial reads like it was written by committee. A) it happened a long time ago B) People responsible have been punished C) Our boss is a good guy D) Why are you picking on us E) Everybody does it F) We're still better than the last group that owned this place. G) It happened in England.

Not very convincing.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wow - this is like a movie.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

For those who can't click on the link (like those of us who look at this from our BlackBerrys), the Times piece spells out how News Corp.'s coupon division has paid out $655 million worth of settlements related to hacking and espionage. The coupon division! By the way, the head of that division was Paul Carlucci, now publisher of the New York Post.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The police say the death isn't suspicious, but given how police have had their mitts in the News Corp till before and sat on evidence, forgive me if I find their initial call, um, suspicious.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was waiting for someone else to start linking this to the Post. Now the next domino is...

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Same here.

What we need is a British tabloid to hack into his phone records to find out the truth.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Back in the old neighborhood, we would have waited for double coupon week at Waldbaum's or Key Food and made off with a cool $1.31 billion.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm thinking there's going to be one in a year or two.

At the very least, a "ripped from the headlines" episode of a police procedural.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

halt right there, Mr. You keep things fair and balanced, OK?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sure, if Carrot Top lights the fire in your furnace.

Draft saved Draft deleted