1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murdoch and Fox going to try to compete with ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 5, 2013.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No matter how much money Rupe throws at this, though, it's gonna boil down to clearances. Is Pac-12 Networks still off DirecTV? How about the Lakers channel on non-Times Warner systems in SoCal? And two more words: Longhorn Network.

Fox has sold a lot of its RSNs in recent years as well. The two networks in NorCal to Comcast as well as Seattle, Pittsburgh and Denver becoming Root Sports comes to mind.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What are CBS and NBC getting for fees for their all-sport channels? They're both on DirecTV and they both went the route of rebranding existing channels (CBS College Sports & Versus).

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No idea, but I love that the NBC one has a 20 minute package where I can see scores and highlights without getting conjecture and BS.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This is also a rebranded channel. It's Speed.

(And yes, the Pac 12 Network is still not on DirecTV, which means there's an excellent chance I'll be ditching DirecTV this fall if they don't get it together.)

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I know. Assuming their carriage fee ask isn't out of line with what CBS & NBC are getting I doubt DirecTV will drop Fox 1.

Was trying to point out that it's not really accurate to compare Fox 1 to the LHN or the PAC 12 Net. Both are essentially regional or niche channels. Fox 1 isn't.

6. Re: Murdoch and Fox going to try to with ESPN

Depends on the contract. The new deal with MLB allows for games on pay TV staring in 2014, which also means the out-of-market FOX games will be available on Extra Innings and MLB.tv.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I remember back when Speed was my favorite channel. It used to have all kinds of car shows and auto racing. I believe Speed showed most of the 2001 Rolex 24 at Daytona live because the Earnhardts were competing. Then Speed became all-NASCAR, all the time and it went downhill.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

ESPN has a 30-year head-start and is getting 5 bucks a pop for every cable and satellite subscriber.

In other words, good luck.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

That's my thought. I have yet to see someone lay out how another sports network could take down ESPN. Even if a network put together a better nightly highlight/news show, ESPN has the programming (NFL, MLB, NBA, top shelf college football and bball) that none of these other networks have. And the cable/satellite subscriber fees guarantee that ESPN can win a bidding war against these guys for contract rights.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

New Fox Network is a big driver behind the Catholic 7/Big East split. Fox is essentially giving Catholic 7 their marching orders to start next year ... a year earlier than they really want.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out how you try and be the "anti-ESPN." No yell fests? No Interactive programs? No hyping stuff on your own network and blowing everything else off?
    I would give Glazer his own show, title it "According to Sources..."

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The good news, there's more than enough sports to go around for a second network to fill up its programming.
    The bad news, there's more than enough sports to go around for people to be able to watch it all. Every home pro team has a regional cable deal. Every pro sport has its own network. There's no way you can build a second national destination network. No way.

Draft saved Draft deleted