1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murder or manslaughter? Jail time or a suspended sentence? You decide.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I can't debate the legality of the issue, but my vote is for murder with jail time. This appears to be a clearly premeditated act.

I agree that the assumption this guy's life was worth less because he had a drug problem and/or encouraged drug use in others is wrong. This father killed someone else's child, and perhaps those parents were also trying to "save" their son in some way. Now they don't get that chance.

I also think that 16 is old enough to be deciding what to put in your own body, be it broccoli or morphine. This girl made a choice to be a drug user. Maybe her father should have accepted that choice, despite the heartbreak. You can only do so much to help someone; they must want to make a change themselves.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A good lawyer could convince a jury otherwise.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It can't be manslaughter because he brought 10 bullets in the gun and 20 more. Obviously, if he was only trying to scare the boyfriend he wouldn't have needed 30 bullets.
    Also, why didn't the parents force the girl to go into rehab? She is under age, so it seems they could have done some stuff differently that didn't involve shooting and killing someone.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's a funny thing. Kids at that age up here have an unbelievable amount of rights. You can't force your 16-year-old kid to live at home with you and go to school, etc., but you remain legally responsible for them until they reach adulthood. If you try to discipline that child in order to regain control or try to force them to comply with your rules, the cops and child protection services will be all over you.

So your kids could be out doing who knows what, completely out of control, and you're the fall guy sitting at home wringing your hands. It happened to my parents, with some of my older siblings, but I'm going to make damned sure it does not happen to me.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What you're getting gelded?

Draft saved Draft deleted