1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Munson's legacy remembered

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ruth-Gehrig, Feb 6, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Granted, it was in the aforementioned later years, but the few times I had occasion to talk to Earnhardt he was pretty easy to get along with, which must have been difficult in dealing with me because I didn't know much about racing .

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

no. Not at all.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Munson was not close to being the bigot that Graig Nettles is.

Munson was surly and liked to play the tough guy but was not a bad guy

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

When I was a kid, I thought Cliff Johnson was Asian.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So there's still hope for Bob Knight with his next career move.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was an adult and thought the same thing.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My old man used to run into Piniella at the track whenever the Yankees were in Toronto. Said he was a good guy who was just looking for some winners like everybody else.

8. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Sorry. I thought this thread was going to be about about Georgia, radio and a hob-nailed boot. Carry on.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Damn. Thought this thread was about Eric Munson.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No bowler with a hook for a hand has ever been better. What a legacy. He showed that disabilities can be overcome.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

Munson was never mistaken for Mr. Congeniality, but he handled a pitching staff well, played injured, made up for an average arm with a quick release behind the plate, hit behind baserunners with no outs by going to right field, knocked in a lot of runs for someone with little home run power, and got clutch, two-out hits with runners in scoring position during close ballgames.
    There have been a lot of hitters average 30 homers a year who couldn't get a hit -- or even get their bat on the ball -- when it really counted. The ones who go yard when they're down or up 10-2.

Draft saved Draft deleted