1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Munson: Dawgs will suck.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hammer Pants, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2007/07/28/0729munson.html?cxntnid=sprt073007e

Seems Munson expects UGA to get hobnail booted around this season.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

And that is different from every other season/game/practice/board game how?

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

This from the man who can find a dark cloud in every silver lining. You could put a million dollars in cash in front of Larry, and his response would be 'geez, how am I going to be able to get this all home?"

Who knows, maybe he's right, but he does tend to overstate the half empty, so I wouldn't run to Vegas to ride the under on the Dawgs for 2007.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Everyone knows he’s a pessimist, but I thought this was a step beyond that.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

One of my favorite Munson lines came with the Dogs trailing at the end of the first quarter of a season opener: ``The season's only 15 minutes old and already we're in a WAR!''

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Georgia always seems to underwhelm. Part of it is of course their tough conference and Sugar Bowl or bust mentality, but I've seen Richt make really odd calls at untimely moments in the game and his teams have never been good enough to overcome them. Their defense is always pretty good, their offense erratic.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Richt won't be calling the plays this year, so I hope some of that will be moot Dan, even though you are right about the past few years.

This year's offense should be stout, especially if Stafford has grown into his silver britches. But the defense is very suspect, with the exception of the secondary. The Dawgs don't have any game-breakers like Pollack, Moses, Blue, etc like they have the past five years. They won't have problems scoring points, but they might have to score 40-50 points to win some games.

9. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

nothing new here. Munson can make a 1-AA also-ran sound like the '72 Dolphins...kind of like how Dooley used to do every week in building up the opponent.

My personal favorite Dooley quote was the week before uga was playing a very bad Oregon team:

"They execute the onside kick better than anyone I have ever seen."

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I don't remember who it was (this was told to me this morning) but someone once said of Munson, "It could be raining $20 bills, and he'd be saying, 'I don't know what we're going to do with no $50s'." Or something like that. If he hasn't elevated poor-mouthing to an art form, it hasn't been for lack of trying.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Vince would scour every scouting report and find one thing every opponent did better than anyone else in the country. Never mind they were getting beat by 50, the execution of that left guard was impeccable. And that's what Dooley would talk to reporters about.

I've posted these before, but here are my three all-time favorite Dooley-isms:

``Vanderbilt has the finest long-snapper I have ever seen.''

``Temple is the toughest team we'll face this year tendency-wise.''

And, No.1: ``Tulane may be the finest winless team in the history of college football.''

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wait a minte, the AJC is writing about what the play-by-play homer thnks Georgia is going to do this season?
    And here I thouight the AJC was a big-time newspaper.

Draft saved Draft deleted