1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

municipal politics question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Apr 29, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Do you like single-member districts or at-large seats for city council elections?

Those who give a flying rat's ass about city government issues, feel free to discuss.

2. If it's a large city than single member districts are fine. It's weird to have them in small towns because some districts might have like 30 people voting ... but the reason many do it is so that minority districts can keep minority representation.

I've actually found that it works better when there's some type of combination ...

3. writing irish

I'm in a medium-sized city with an at-large system. There's talk of single-member districts as a way of somehow addressing the fact that the only people who seem to give a shit about or participate in municipal politics are the local rich. I'm studying the matter and haven't decided how I feel yet.

4. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

The fact that you can't MAKE people vote is a huge problem when it comes to having a representative government. I would always prefer that representatives of every socio-economic group have a seat at the council table, not just the rich.

Rich people usually didn't get that way by being nice to the poor.

5. Single district is definitely the trend these days ... usually it's because of concerns that minorities aren't getting represented.

I know the Justice Department monitors these types of situations, in case you're writing a story.

6. writing irish

I'm not a city beat reporter, but I have the option of doing an enterprise-type piece on the situation.

The functionality of a democracy is roughly proportional to how much of a country's population participates in democratic institutions, IMO. I get pissed at rich douches running roughshod over everyone, but I get just as pissed at people who just bend over and take it in the ass from the elites when they could actually be defending or helping their communities.

7. If you're thinking about enterprise, you might call Justice to see if they're keeping tabs on the city ... if so, might open some doors.

8. writing irish

Excellent tip, WB. Gracias.

Draft saved Draft deleted