1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mumford and Sons (Not Sanford and Son)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Anyone heard of them yet?

Love this song.

Lead singer is extremely talented; at several points in this video you can see him singing, playing guitar, playing bass drum and playing bass tambourine all at the same time.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The SO came across this song the other day and said I should check the band out. Awesome recommendation. Been playing a number of their videos on a loop the last few weeks.

White Blank Page:

Dustbowl Dance:

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So, so good, and I'm really glad they're making it over there as well. Been big here for probably a year now.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This song is getting a lot of play on "The Spectrum" on Sirius/XM, including a live version done in their studios. Very impressed with them, especially since there was no fall off between their live performance and the recorded version.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yep, they're brilliant. If you like The Avett Brothers, you'll like them.

Apparently they were on tour in the first half of the year and no one heard of them. They came through Cleveland and played to a pretty empty club. Then in Oct/Nov they traveled the country and played shows that were sold out weeks in advance.

They are currently working on a new album which they say will have a different sound than the first.

Good name for a band, too, though it's not a guy and his kids. The lead singer (whoever Mumford) just liked the sound of it.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We've pimped them on the music thread since back in February. Great sound.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They are all over Sirius/XM right now. I cannot remember if it's XMU or Alt Nation giving them the most air time. I don't listen to The Spectrum that much.

I wonder how much of a factor Sirius/XM has on the industry right now?

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

It's pretty much the only place I hear new music anymore. Never listen to commercial radio or any of the Top 40 type stations. I'm late to the party but finally discovered the Avett Brothers this year. Am also really enjoying the "Fist Full of Mercy" cuts they've been playing, especially "My Father's Son".

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Am I the only person who doesn't like these guys?

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Well, not a person, but Pitchfork tore them a new one. But I think there are about three people/bands that Pitchfork won't eviscerate.*

As for me, I own the LP. I'm kind of on the fence. At one listen, I'm sold on them. On another, they seem a tad disingenuous.

*One of those three is Kanye West, whose latest LP earned a 10. A 10(!!!) from Pitchfork. I think it's a fine album, but a 10? They gave The National's Boxer, what I consider the best album of the decade, an 8.6...and Kanye a 10? Wow. End of rant.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Pitchfork is the one that treats every shitty Animal Collective album like it's an orgasm, right?

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Pretty much.

But I'm a sucker for their site. As a random yahoo from the middle of nowhere Ohio, Pitchfork does introduce me to some great music I'd otherwise never even hear about. I'm really not cool enough to find this stuff by serendipity.

Draft saved Draft deleted