1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multiple sports reporters to cover something in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jun 21, 2018.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The USA TODAY NETWORK Tennessee is seeking talented, energetic sports reporters with strong entrepreneurial skills to join our team. Must be urgent, a quick learner, social media and video savvy, and have a passion for storytelling. Sports writers research and reports trending sports news of the day, aimed at digital platforms and optimized for social networks. The ideal candidate produces smart, context-filled stories and other content on tight deadlines and understands the difference in writing for various platforms. This position requires a versatile journalist equally skilled in building and working sources on breaking news stories as well as developing and reporting new angles on trending topics.

In this role, you will:

• Research, write and report on compelling sports journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers.
    • Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers through social media.
    • Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high interest events
    • Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produces watchdog journalism that leads to change.
    • Uses real time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest
    • Works with newsroom leaders to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform.
    • Contributes to the community’s greater good through impactful journalism.

Here's what you need:

• Bachelor's degree in journalism
    • Experience working for an online-only news website, newspaper or magazine (outstanding recent grads considered for entry-level positions)
    • Excellent communication and time management skills
    • Ability to write accurately and detailed
    • Experience with video production and editing
    • Must be able to work well on deadline

Please include a variety of clips – no more than six – showing sports reporting and enterprise on different digital platforms.

Job opportunity at Gannett | USA TODAY NETWORK - Sports Reporter

2. RMN10

RMN10 New Member

I’m new to this site, so I’m not sure if it’s allowed, but I recently applied for this position and was wondering if there was someone I could e-mail about my application. I submitted the application without adding any examples of my writing, and was hoping I would be able to send a couple examples in an e-mail.

Any help would be appreciated!

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Try sports editor Gary Vinderman at gvinderman@gannett.com

4. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Tennessee is a pretty long-ass state, I've noticed from personal driving experience. Are they putting people everywhere? Basing them in Nashville? Knoxville? Memphis? I certainly hope they're hiring reporters with more attention to detail than whoever wrote this.

5. AndrettiSJ

AndrettiSJ Member

From my understanding these positions aren’t open yet, but could come open in the near future and I believe they’re gathering possible candidates for that time. Not sure if that’s unusual or not, but that was what was conveyed to me when I inquiried about the position.

6. mn67

mn67 New Member

I was told there are no open positions and that this was just an "evergreen" posting.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If the beat includes Bonnaroo, sign me up yesterday.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If it's anything like our little corner of USA TODAY WORLD, those six clips will probably match the number of live events you cover in the first six months.

Sports Barf likes this.
  9. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Certainly odd wording on this one!

Draft saved Draft deleted