1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multiple reporter openings, U-T San Diego

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Larry Graham, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So Everybody Have A The Pay Sucks And Take It To PM Day and Let's Move The F On Here.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just curious ... what would a front-line beat writer at a big paper make (ballpark, I know there can be a lot of variation)?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Big range. $60K would probably be the low end all the way up to six figures. There probably aren't too many six-figure beat writers at newspapers, but I know of a few...

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Let's get away from the pay issue for a second and ask Larry/Todd what their owner has told them regarding requiring the beat writers to be cheerleaders for the teams.
    That's the issue that got Tim Sullivan fired.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Stef Loh is leaving Harrisburg, Pa., to become S.D. State football/enterprise writer. Great get for them, Stef is (and will remain!!) on my Dirty Dozen Short List.

6. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

Terrific hire by Larry. Big things on the horizon at San Diego...

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I guess she's willing to work cheap. :D

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Are the jobs previously posted still going to be filled, or does this take one out because of reorganization after Loh's hire?

9. Larry Graham

Larry Graham Member

Thanks Moddy and Tim.
    And yes, all of the previous jobs posted will still be filled.
    I've received tons of resumes and I'm trying to respond to everyone. Forgive me if I haven't gotten back to you, but I'll at least try to confirm receipt of your resume and clips in the coming days.

lg

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

Griping about newspaper pay goes back at least to the invention of the printing press.

That said, the salaries listed are on a par with what entry-level typists would make in California government jobs. San Diego is not an inexpensive area to live in, and the Union-Tribune is not a small market.

I understand the U-T has had some unique financial challenges and the jobs do look like interesting jobs. I'm sure it isn't the sports editor's fault, but some perspective is needed.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Amen. Amen and Amen!!!

The whining and sarcasm in some of these posts is just mind-boggling. Not all jobs here are for everyone. And if it doesn't suite you, just move on and don't apply and leave it for someone who will appreciate what it has to offer.

I get the feeling there are a lot of people living in fantasy land over what they THINK their career, salary and perks should be like. And they're long overdue for the same awakening I had years ago. If a sportswriter salary and hours don't cut it for you, go do something else. I know plenty of people who have done just that.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The fact that papers would dream of paying that kind of money to someone to write stories about football games may well be a hint as to why a lot of places are in the financial mess they are in. You wanna make six figures? Go get a real job and leave the toy department to someone else.

Draft saved Draft deleted