1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multiple reporter openings, U-T San Diego

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Larry Graham, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Much of this is laughable.
    But hopefully my not posting jobs here won't ever be an issue. I like my current crew and hope no one leaves. IF we are granted permission to expand, I have my Dirty Dozen list at the ready from last time. LOTS of great candidates out there for the jobs that are available. And it is insulting to them to rail on salary. What seems "offensive" to you may seem like a gold mine to someone who wants the opportunity or needs a job or both or whatever.

Again: You don't like the salary or terms, don't apply. Larry's candidate pool will be none the poorer.

2. Moderator1

I would, too, but we don't know. This is what SD has and it will find a very good candidate for that price. I had 30-year veterans willing to work at entry level (which is above that scale but that's not my point) here. They'll have good people lined up

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He'll find someone. The salary could be $25K and he'd find someone.

Larry is a great editor, so is Todd. Whoever gets this job will get to be the lowest-paid NFL writer in the country, but they'll live in the best city in the country and work for two great editors.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And nothing that anyone says here changes that, Moddy. That's my point. If there's to be no negative discussion of job postings, then we should just post jobs and then lock the threads.

It's fair to comment that that's below a comfortable living in that area, and it's fair to point out the two-year position. It's up to each individual reader/applicant to decide how to proceed.

5. imjustagirl

And let me say this: A two-year guarantee looks really fucking good to me right now. But I can't move to SD, and I can't pay my bills on that salary, so I won't apply.

Still doesn't mean people can't comment on the content of a job posting.

6. Moderator1

Exactly - so what if they have to live in a box? Oops, did I just say that!?!?

In an ideal world, we'd all have great jobs making great money without worrying if today was the day we were going to get the ol' pills chopped.

As we all know, it isn't an ideal world.

IJAG, you are right in the big picture of course. With this one, we had too many people just hammering and hammering and hammering on the pay. If that's the best you got, please. It's right there up front, we don't need to drive it home needlessly

7. imjustagirl

:D :D :D

(And yes, I know it was intentional.)

That being said, I'm pretty sure we don't pull punches when entry level jobs are posted with pay of $15-20K. So we shouldn't look favorably on big papers also taking advantage of the market and asking people to do a beat job for less than I made at my second job in the business.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

But the pay, as much as the general job insecurity in the business, represents the avalanche-like movement away from a sustaining and credible profession for educated adults. Nothing against the U-T (Mrs. Editude is an alum) or the incoming leadership, but when a media company in one of the country's 10 largest cities pays its pro sports reporters less than countless other low-middle jobs and 50 to 100 percent less than it did for comparable positions 10 years ago, that speaks to a diminished present and an almost laughable future.

9. Moderator1

Never said we should look favorably on it. I sure don't - but at some point we just need to STFU. Etitude is right, how many of us are confident in the future of this business? I love my job, love my staff, love where I live - and I still wonder a whole lot about the future. My son has said, "I've never seen you this happy and I still worry every day because you work at a newspaper."

None of that is news to any of us. I just see a great city, two great editors - yes, the PAY SUCKS but enough about that!! That's all I'm saying. This is what they have to offer. Can't speak for Larry and Todd, but I'm sure they wish it was a lot more.

It isn't. Apply or don't

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Moddy, if you have an opening no need to post it, just call me. :)

Seriously though, I don't know Larry, but I know Todd. He called me about an opening he had when he was in North Carolina and I was extremely disappointed the timing didn't work out because I'd love to work with him.

Not that I'd recommend taking a pay cut if you are making more, but some people going to be really happy to get these jobs.

Also, the last time I took a job I was told what the salary range was before I interviewed and managed to squeeze more out of them. Negotiating doesn't begin and end with the ad.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Everyone knows your history.

And with that, I'm done. (Sorry, Moddy).

And to get back on course, the San Diego paper is a job. Whatever the pay, it's better than collecting unemployment.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know if everyone knows my history and quite frankly, it doesn't matter what "everyone knows" Hank. Grow up. Send a PM if you want to get personal. The talk is about the job in San Diego, not what you think about me, which in reality means nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted