1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multiple reporter openings, U-T San Diego

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Larry Graham, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They'll find people for those salaries, because people are desperate and they get to live in San Diego.

Anyone who takes that job who isn't more than a year or two out of school is fucking insane.

Preps? Fine. Hire someone straight out of school.

You want a baseball and football writer for $35-$40K? That's insane.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Also - if I am reading this correctly, these are two-year jobs, which means you get there and have two years to try and find your next job.

3. Larry Graham

Larry Graham Member

Just to clarify, only two of the positions are two-year engagements. But even those can lead to more lasting employment.
    Feel free to drop me an email if you have any questions.

4. It sounds to me that after two years they plan to cut these writers loose and bring in replacements at entry level salaries again. So, caveat emptor, as zag noted.

5. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

wow those salaries are a joke.

6. Quite possible, but remember that the majority of us are in at-will employment relationships anyway, which means we can be let go at any time for any reason, or for none at all. And with the current state of this business, two years is an eternity. I don't even buy green bananas.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is not directed at anyone in particular but a general point:

We bitch that the industry sucks, there are no jobs.
    We bitch that the jobs don't pay enough or come with strings attached or whatever.

Lord.

Larry has jobs. He's made it clear what the pay range is and what the parameters are for some of those jobs.
    If it works for you, go for it. With Larry and Todd there, you will be working with sharp people.
    If it doesn't work for you, don't go for it.

It's really pretty simple.

As bad as the industry is right now, there ARE some jobs available. More would be posted here, I suspect, except I know of a number of SEs who don't want to sift through the bullshit to get to the legit posts with questions, etc., about the jobs. If I have another opening, I doubt I'll post it here.

In short: STFU

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Moddy and I may have differences on things but I think he's right on target here. I'm sorry, and he has his reasons, that he feels he may never post another opening here. There are some people out here who truly use this site for job leads.

9. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

This. Times a lot.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just because Moddy doesn't post a job here, doesn't mean someone else can't. Most of the jobs here are posted second-hand from job boards.

11. Moddy, and others, I'm sorry if my comment helped spur this reaction. I would like to clarify. In general, I don't see job postings like this helping the vast majority of us veteran journos who were cut loose from newspapers as part of various cost-saving ventures. I have applied for positions like this -- in fairness to Larry, not to SD -- and been told I was overqualified, I was too expensive, I was making too much money at my last paper, yadda, yadda, yadda. I would have settled for less money to be employed again. But too many hiring editors don't or won't consider that in the equation. I know what I'm willing to accept in terms of salary. If you post a salary range, I get that. And all I wanted to point out here was that in two years, by Larry's own estimation, that you would need to look for a new position. If I got it wrong, then I apologize. But I don't believe I did.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dude I feel you - been there. And it wasn't directed at you (though you may have been a part of it!). Sure, these jobs may not be ideal for everyone. Or most everyone. But they are jobs, they are what they are and Larry has been upfront about things.

Draft saved Draft deleted