1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multiple (non-sports) positions, North County Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Cadet, May 24, 2007.

1. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

It's probably code for, "We're only interested in talking to people from San Diego."

2. I used to work at the N.C. Times. I'll offer what insight I can. ...

This paper has been burned numerous times by people who seemingly act as if their interview is simply an excuse to take a vacation to sun-soaked San Diego. They know this paper isn't going to pay as much as the Union-Tribune, they know they can't afford to live in one of the costliest markets in the country, yet they come anyway, knowing they likely aren't going to take a job if it's offered. Finally, the paper had enough.

That said, when I interviewed, they did pay for me to come down, and they did help with moving expenses once I took the job. I'm guessing it's kind of a case-by-case basis, that once they know you are serious, they are more willing to work with you.

All that said, this paper does not pay very well. The joke is that they give you the "San Diego Discount" — they figure you're getting to live in paradise, so they don't need to pay you as much because everyone wants to live there. Of course, they seemingly fail to see the error in their logic that this means no one can therefore afford to live there with what they're paying.

Any more questions, please feel free to ask, and I'll see what I can offer.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Hmmm...a buddy of mine was working in one of their bureaus and he got laid off a month ago.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

This paper is always trolling for writers and editors; take that for what it's worth. I know a lot about this one, so fire a PM if intrigued.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tough shit. Maybe if they offered more than jack shit wages, they wouldn't have people turning down their job offers.

Given the job market in journalism, I doubt very many people are turning down offers anyway -- except at the most godforsaken hellholes of the profession:

Just a
    Reasonable
    Conclusion. ;)

6. Oh, I wasn't excusing it. Just offering up the reasoning behind it.

7. Wait, Lee papers DO pay for relocation? Fuck. I just got a job with one and they're not paying for mine. Damn them. They did, however, fly me out there...

damn

Draft saved Draft deleted