1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multiple deaths, including children, at Connecticut school shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

AP says 18 of the 27 dead are children.

Jesus H. Christ almighty.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Don't get 21 all ticked off now. Anyhoo, these massacres occurring reflects society's lag with catching on to more efficient firearm killing machines, and the fact that video games depersonalize mass death. Not that video games create killers, but that they can take already twisted minds down a more deadly path.

Of course, parents are the first line of defense, but maybe, someday, something will be done about guns. No amendment is absolute.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The point raised in the Atlantic cover story this week is that schools are sitting ducks because potential shooters know that they are gun-free zones. They advertise it. The writer said it's practically a written invitation. The writer argued that concealed carry on campuses would do its most good as a deterrent to potential rampage killers.

4. Dick Whitman

I completely agree with you about the Second Amendment. (And the First, for that matter.)

But I need to see more about the video games statement. I'm not convinced of a connection.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The writer is a dumbass. End of discussion. I don't want my children around guns. I don't give a fuck who's carrying them.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Frankly, if you can plan a school shooting, you can find some body armor.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My preschooler keeps asking why I keep hugging her.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think this is fair.

I'd love to be even more outraged at this stuff, but it's bad when people die in a theater, in a mall, at Virginia Tech, at Columbine, anywhere. At some point, outrage must give way to a cold, relentless, almost dispassionate effort to change the gun laws. No histrionics. Just doggedness. A bunch of wild emotions wear out the will. And the gun lobby has will to burn, and the pernicious lie to peddle that more guns would lead to fewer deaths.

Things have to change. It's a huge mountain to climb. It'll take much more than tears.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not again. Sheesh. Merry Christmas.

11. Dick Whitman

You can.

The question is whether potential shooters would.

It's a barrier to entry.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That's what I'm saying. If you're that motivated, you'll find a way. No one goes on a school shooting rampage on a whim.

Meanwhile, Hartford Courant reporting that an entire classroom of students is unaccounted for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.