1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multimedia Sports Reporter, The Ithaca Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Brian_Delaney, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Brian_Delaney

Brian_Delaney New Member

With the fall season weeks away, The Ithaca Journal (Gannett) has an opening for a multimedia sports reporter. The position, one of two full-time writing spots, is primarily responsible for beat coverage of Cornell football and Cornell ice hockey across multiple platforms. The two-person staff collaborates on coverage of high schools, other college teams and New York Jets training camp. There are currently no layout responsibilities attached to this position, although some copy editing and clerical work is expected. At last check, daily circulation was about 15,000, and growing, with a total reach of about 40,000. HR has additional information on its job post here: http://tiny.cc/s0tyv

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Send cover letter, resume and work samples to ith-sports@gannett.com. No phone calls, please.

Brian Delaney
    Sports Editor
    123 West State Street
    Ithaca, NY 14850

2. ericwbolin

ericwbolin New Member

Don't know a WHOLE lot about the paper, but I was impressed with the Journal when I was a student at CU. And it doesn't get much better than covering Big Red hockey. A bit biased, but J-Hart (Cornell SID) is a great dude and helpful.

I can tell you plenty about the area and the goings on at Cornell, though.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I know its Gannett, but how do you only have TWO FT writing positions for an area that has a D-I college, a strong D-III school, the high schools, an NFL training camp, plus whatever other recreation stuff that comes down the pike, and expect them to also be covering them over 'multiple platforms'?

Sounds like a paper that should have three or four FT writers instead of just two.

4. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

It's Gannett.

Draft saved Draft deleted