1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multimedia sports journalist, preps beat, Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MonsterLobster, Aug 7, 2013.

1. This recently opened up but was only officially approved a couple days ago. Please send me a few writing and multimedia clips and a resume ASAP at christopher.c.white@onlineathens.com. Please use "Multimedia sports journalist" as the subject so I can easily compile and organize them.

The pervious person to hold this job split much of his time between UGA sports and preps, but this is being rebuilt to focus essentially 99 percent on preps with some UGA coverage sprinkled throughout the year. As for page design, a component of this job is likely to be chipping in on the desk occasionally, like to cover a few vacation or sick days, and likely helping out for a couple hours each Saturday night in the fall.

Quick background: We're a 20,000-circulation daily with a very large web presence in our market (we now average about 800,000 uniques a month), we're a four-person sports staff (SE, ASE, UGA beat writer, preps writer) and we've got about 20 high schools, all but a couple of which have football. The prep sports are pretty strong, too, as we have reigning state champs or state runners-up in football, softball, wrestling, tennis, track and probably something else I'm forgetting.

The great thing about the Banner-Herald is that we've got a culture that really embraces experimenting with new things, from the way we present web content to the rules we stick to in page design. Sometimes those turn out poorly and sometimes they turn out great. In that spirit, I'd love to have someone in this position who has a lot of ideas and the enthusiasm to find what works.

If you've got more questions, feel free to leave them below or PM me here and I'll answer whatever I can. Here's the official job description:

Multimedia Sports Journalist

Reports to: Sports Editor

Full-time

This multimedia journalist will be responsible for covering 20 high school sports programs, along with numerous community and college sports teams.

Experience & Skills:

Must have:

- Experience covering sporting events and breaking news on deadline.
    - A proven track record of compelling enterprise reporting with multimedia elements.
    - A driven and competitive journalist who asks tough questions and refuses to be beaten when it comes to getting the story first.
    - The ability to be a strong self-editor.
    -The skills to be comfortable shooting, editing and hosting video segments.
    -Extensive knowledge of social media, its various components and the ability to develop strategies related to multimedia production and distribution.
    -The willingness to experiment with the production of live videos, Google Fusion tables, iPad apps and other “non-traditional” ways of distributing information.
    -Extensive digital experience and the ability to work with our staff web developer to brainstorm and drive engagement across multiple platforms.
    -Basic knowledge of Adobe InDesign and the ability to learn layout and design.
    -Basic knowledge of Final Cut.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Chris White is good people. I definitely recommend pursuing this one.

3. Nathan_C_Deen

Nathan_C_Deen New Member

I got to know Chris for a bit while he worked at the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. Good guy to work for. If I hadn't just started a new job, I'd be all over this. Best wishes to you in your search Chris.

4. This job has been filled. We hired Nicole Saavedra, a UCF grad who did a good bit of work for the Orlando Sentinel as a student over the last few years.

Draft saved Draft deleted