1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multimedia Reporter -- Stillwater (Okla.) News Press,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Jan 6, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Salary: $25,000 to $30,000

At the Stillwater NewsPress our photojournalists write meaningful stories for print and web, produce compelling video and shoot award-winning photos. We are seeking a reporter/videographer/photographer to join our top-notch team. This position has an emphasis on Division I sports photography but that is a small part of the job description. We're a Big 12 university city daily, serving a community with an incredible range of stories to tell: Problems facing rural America, managing university growth with neighborhood needs, economic development and more. Candidates must possess good writing and reporting skills; be able to develop and maintain coverage of their beats; and generate story ideas in addition to handling assignments for the daily newspaper, website and magazines. Web and video are a big part of our news package. These skills are a plus. If you're looking for somewhere you can work hard, make a difference and be appreciated, send a resume, cover letter and examples of your best work to: jbbittner@cnhi.com Ms. J.B. Bittner, editor, Stillwater NewsPress PO Box 2288, Stillwater, OK 74076

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1224021

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's CNHI. What more do you need to know?

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Stitch, for those not in the know is CNHI a bad company to work for?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

20 furlough days in 2010. But how many newspaper companies are good ones.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/79606/

5. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Stay far away. Really far away.

You'd be better off (and happier, I'm told) working at a gas station.

6. peacer84

peacer84 Member

I hear McClatchy is forcing furloughs on one of their papers in the Midwest. Not sure if that's the norm for them.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

There's good CNHI papers. Then there's this one.
    Lots and lots and lots of turnover. Some industry folk think that's a good thing, that these types of papers shouldn't have folk hanging around making careers there.
    Somewhat true, provided they climb to greater heights in the industry rather than in desperation and frustration, run to the 7-Eleven or Walmart.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They have 7-Elevens and Walmart in Stillwater? Who'da thunk it?

9. PBOWKER

PBOWKER Member

Stay away from this! At last count, more than 25 people have either left or been fired or in other ways been run out of this place. Some are still unemployed, yet still wouldn't go back.

That's why there are almost always Stillwater jobs posted on jj.

And I believe that one of the former photojournalists (they only have one, then 4-5 news AND sports reporters with digital cameras) was fired, and when he tried to file for unemployment, the paper fought it. Don't know specifics; it's just what I heard....

10. Charlie_Hustle

Charlie_Hustle New Member

I concur. No matter what section of the paper, people constantly seem to be either getting laid off or quitting out of misery. Apply at your own risk.

11. FumBunch

FumBunch New Member

Just a heads up that the publisher "left to pursue other interests" per a story on their Web site. The word is she was forced to leave. But the editor is still there.

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

For a couple of years, the closest Buffalo Wild Wings to Tulsa was Stillwater.

Stillwater can be a fun town, and that salary in Stillwater is very livable.

Draft saved Draft deleted