1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multi-media sports writer, Evansville, Indiana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jun 19, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

...from JournalismJobs.com

Company: Evansville (Ind.) Courier & Press
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000

The Evansville (Ind.) Courier & Press has an opening for a writer to cover University of Evansville sports. Our next hire will excel at breaking news across multiple platforms, produce compelling game stories under tight print deadlines, be enthusiastic about enterprise reporting and be a devoted blogger. The ability to shoot short videos is a plus. You also will assist in coverage of an ECHL hockey team, a Class A minor-league baseball team and area high school sports as needed. If interested, send a cover letter, resume with references and samples of your best work (maximum of five clips, not including a link to a blog) to sports editor Randy Beard at beardr@courierpress.com or c/o the Courier & Press, 300 E. Walnut Street, Evansville, Ind., 47702.

2. I thought this was Jonathan Lintner's gig. Is he moving elsewhere?

3. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Sounds like an exciting gig. Anyone know if this is an immediate opening or over the next few months?

4. ConorRevell

ConorRevell New Member

This sounds like an enticing gig. The University of Evansville doesn't have a bad athletic program from what I've heard.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

That's not much of a salary for covering a D1 university at a 60k daily ...

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing.

7. Man, I'd apply for this if I hadn't just accepted another position elsewhere.

I believe the Courier & Press sends its beat writer to road games, which means a trip to the raucous Koch Arena (at Wichita State) and Chicago for new MVC opponent Loyola U.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Amending a comment I said earlier, at least you would get to take road trips. And if the salary is on the higher end, 30K isn't too bad for Evansville. :)

9. buck_I_guy

buck_I_guy Guest

Heard the position will officially open up tomorrow. Today is Jonathan's last day. I was told that they may not fill it for a month or two. I guess not a big need until prep football and Evansville basketball start up.

10. Looks like Jonathan is taking a digital sports producer position at the Courier-Journal in his hometown of Louisville. Here's his final blog post announcing the news: http://www.courierpressblogs.com/sports/ue/?p=4855

11. RandyBeard

RandyBeard New Member

The position "officially" opened the day Jonathan told me he had accepted the offer in Louisville. There is no freeze on filling the position.

If it takes longer than a month to have someone take over the beat, it's only because that's how long it can take to interview candidates, make an offer, and then give them time to relocate.

Before posting the job, I contacted several sports editors, including two who have worked for me in the past, to see if they knew of any promising prospects. Two of those folks are on my list of potential hires and I've since identified several others.

I will allow a few more days for resumes and clips to reach me before conducting the first phone interviews early next week. I've already been in contact with my two frontrunners by email.

However, I do want to say that I appreciate all the interest this job has generated. There are some very talented people looking for jobs at the moment and I wish I had more than one vacancy to fill.

12. STLwriter

STLwriter Member

Guessing this one would be in the 27-28k range. Tough to convince people to move to Evansville on that salary. Interested to see who gets this job.

Draft saved Draft deleted