1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multi-Media Interns Wanted For Coastal Plain League Teams - Huge Portfolio Building Opportunity!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Shilliar, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Shilliar

Shilliar New Member

Hi there. Have you ever thought to yourself 'wow I wish I could eat a hotdog, watch baseball and snap the entire experience on the daily (the kids tell me that's how it's said)?' My answer would be who the heck hasn't! However, my answer doesn't matter, because well I'm already here and am looking for an army of awesome interns to take over the w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶ internet and more.

No but for real, let's make this happen.

2017 Multi-Media Internship

Start Date: Mid-May 2017

End Date: Mid-August 2017

Academic Qualifications: Prefer Communication, Design, Media, etc. fields of study, but will consider other qualified applicants.

Desired Skills and Qualifications:
    • Familiar with social media platforms (specifically Instagram & SnapChat) and the proper etiquette required in a professional setting.
    • Video editing is a plus but not required
    • Must have your own device to shoot video, pictures, post, etc. from. Many schools have rented these out to interns in the past. Phones are acceptable if high quality and you accept data responsibilities.
    • Computer savvy, comfortable with Microsoft Word, Photoshop, or any graphic design program
    • Responsible enough to work alone
    • Knowledge of baseball a plus

Description and Responsibilities:

Each intern will be assigned to one of our 15 franchises (across four states) and be responsible for posting to the league's SnapChat and Instagram accounts for each home game. They will also be asked to collect video, pictures and more of the players for our media database. Their work will be featured in articles as well as the league's Around the CPL weekly show.

Interns will have the opportunity to pitch their own story ideas, whether print or digital based, throughout the summer as well as taking part in league wide video initiatives (i.e. Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Father's Day, etc.)

Overall we feel this internship offers students the rare opportunity to build their portfolio in an impactful manner. It also allows them to be apart of the most entertaining league in the country - no pressure.

(Travel to road games is NOT required. Working all home games is a MUST)

Compensation: Local housing where available for interns outside of the team's geographic footprint.

Credit: College credit towards a major, minor, or general elective required.

I know we just met, and this is crazy but email us maybe? And by maybe, I mean seriously email us or regret it all summer.

TO APPLY: Please email Shelby Hilliard at shelbyh@coastalplain.com with resume and examples of work if you have them (not required.)

The Coastal Plain League is the nation’s premier summer collegiate baseball league. Celebrating its 21st season in 2017, the CPL features 15 teams playing in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. The CPL has had nearly 1,300 alumni drafted and 94 of those – including 2011 AL MVP and Cy Young winner Justin Verlander – make their Major League debut; while another notable alum – Russell Wilson – won Super Bowl XLVIII. For more information on the Coastal Plain League, please visit the league website at www.coastalplain.com and follow us via Twitter @CPLBaseball.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

No.

And this posting would be a better fit on a SportsMarketers.com.

3. Shilliar

Shilliar New Member

That website does not seem to exist but thanks for the reference!

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so quick to diss this one, if you're interested in traditional print media. Look at the jobs listed in this forum and they're all looking for someone social media savvy as well as writing. If you hate baseball, though, I'd flee.

5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Did I miss something? Did the Cape Cod League fold while I slept?

cjericho likes this.
  6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

No love for the Northwoods League that helped produce Max Scherzer?

7. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Not to turn this into a bragging contest but the Cape League has had about a dozen alums go in the first round of each of the last few MLB Drafts. Also claims Frank Thomas, Carlton Fisk, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Nomar Garciaparra, you get the picture.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I can see how this would be an opportunity to learn a lot by doing. I'm not a big fan of working for free, though. Even in an internship. Eating a hot dog might be an essential part of the experience because you probably won't be able to afford much else. Begging for a leftover concession stand hot dog at the end of the night will likely be a primary means of sustenance.

9. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

"Knowledge of baseball a plus."

I would sure hope so.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If I can also take some BP and shag some flyballs, I'm in.

11. Shilliar

Shilliar New Member

We provide meal stipends for each game worked so hot dogs would only be optional....but encouraged because who doesn't love a good hot dog?

12. Shilliar

Shilliar New Member

Strap a GoPro to your head and you may be on to a story here.....

Draft saved Draft deleted