1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multi-Media for SEC, other top college football programs

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AJC SEC, Jan 14, 2018.

1. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 Member

So you are saying that as a journalist who has the ability to put out great opinions about any of these teams especially when he or she has access to the team, won't be qualified enough because they aren't a fan of the team?

2. Scott Hansen

Scott Hansen New Member

Can't have a Texas site without saying they will go 12-1 every year. Longhorn fans generally have an inability to see reality or be able to handle the truth. Hence the need for a fan.

HappyCurmudgeon, Adam94 and ss90 like this.
  3. Brandon Walker

Brandon Walker New Member

Everyone who applies will be given fair consideration. We are looking for talented, driven people who can connect with each of the fanbases listed. If you're not a fan of those schools but you think the position fits you, please apply and I'll answer any question you have.

Scott Hansen likes this.
  4. ss90

ss90 Member

Some of the sites under Cox's umbrella have picked up some strong people and done solid work, but I also encountered a ton of credentialed fan-sites while I was covering an SEC school. I genuinely believe they bring down everyone else's product too. It becomes a race to the bottom of who can be the biggest apologist.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I look at it this way... it's Cox. You know pay is involved. It's not some fanboi site that says you'll start out unpaid but think of all the people that will see your work, bla bla bla.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yep. Maybe a decade ago we'd have looked more askew at ads that were so upfront about fandom, but that's the way parts of the business are heading. I'm in the camp that doesn't care for it either, but if it pays, it stays here. Obviously you'll have to judge for yourself whether it's viable long-term. (Like you gotta do with any gig nowadays.)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Scott Hansen likes this.
  7. bigbankhank

bigbankhank New Member

In 18 years on the Patriots beat, I have watched "fans" dressed up as beat guys in that press box and always figured that was the norm. I always hated that. Enjoy the ride, sure, but ...

Adam94 likes this.
  8. Jeffrey Cooperstein

Jeffrey Cooperstein New Member

Brandon, just wanted to let you know I sent you an email regarding this position. Look forward to hearing from you soon!

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What if, heaven forbid, someone hired to one of these gigs learns that the coaching staff has committed NCAA recruiting violations? What should the reporter do with this information?

twinsfan1424 likes this.
  10. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 Member

Report on it and wait for the School's AD to call this company asking to fire you because they you aren't the fan boy that this company promised them.

11. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 Member

Does Ben Volin straight up dress like an actual Troll or is he in full Brady gear or cut off hoodie like his hero Belicheck-io

12. ss90

ss90 Member

The absence of real reporters should create opportunities for the young, especially student publications, to shine.

Draft saved Draft deleted