1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Wow. If a fish swallowed the bait as hard as I did you'd have to cut the line to get him off.

Never mind.

2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I am going to say something ridiculous--surprise!--but, do any trumpers have an upper lip? There, I said it.

My question still stands.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

GTFO with that BS.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, he's a bad leader for this type of situation because he doesn't lead and because he cares only about himself. His decisions are driven entirely by what he thinks will help him get re-elected. Nothing else matters to him.

You made some good points in that post. Getting schools re-opened should have been a top national priority months ago. Instead, we saw Mitch McConnell stonewalling additional funding for public schools for nearly two months and we saw President Trump barely paying attention until recently deciding to get in the game. Don't get me wrong. Including schools in a stimulus package this month is welcome, but it should have been done two months ago when the Democrats were ready to do it. I'm not saying the package the House passed in May was all good, but it was a starting point. McConnell played politics until this week, then suddenly decided something had to be done because the reality of schools staying closed finally started to sink in for him and for President Trump. You've got schools in this country scheduled to re-open in early August, barely a month from now. Those delays did real damage. That federal funding isn't going to have near the impact it should because it will come so late, if it comes at all. That is on President Trump. That is on Senator McConnell.

OscarMadison, SFIND and HanSenSE like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

SFIND, Jerry-atric and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I agree that cases is the worst metric, and the media's obsession with that number is a little counterproductive. Hospitalizations are the real story.

8. Neutral Corner

Cases are a useful metric when the number of new cases per day is an increase of more than 8 or 9%. In general I prefer 7 or 14 day stats as they give a better picture, but a 10% or better increase in new cases should always be alarming.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

maybe we should have done something

11. Neutral Corner

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

We’ll be at herd immunity in about a year and a half at the way these rates are headed. Wouldn’t be surprised to find out in the end this was Twitchy’s unspoken plan all along.

Draft saved Draft deleted