1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

At least 10 prominent people -- Secret Service et al -- who attended the klan meeting in Tulsa have tested positive. Nice idea there.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Has anyone here gotten a full-on cold or a twinge of one since the crisis began?

Have been in a lot of cold water with rugrats over the last week. No symptoms but very slight drainage.

If I do have the COVID, the haters and enemies may celebrate my demise only after my wife does.

7. Spartan Squad

I got pretty congested and achy back in March right as the Bay Area locked down. No fatigue and no breathing problems. In fact my last day at school, I felt more and more crummy as the day went on. I strongly considered getting a test but A) I wouldn't have known where I got exposed (which was a requirement for testing back then) and B) I'm 36 and wasn't likely to need medical intervention so I probably would have been denied one. I started to feel better inside of a week, so I think it was part the stress I was feeling and part getting either a cold or a flu (I had gotten a flu shot a week earlier).

OscarMadison and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Clay Travis has your back.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Thank you, Spartan.

There are more than 200 viruses that cause the common cold. You frolic with one of those and it's easy to think you have C19.

The loss of taste and smell (which I don't have) seems to be the harbinger. That's what frightens me as it appears to speak to brain function being rattled.

OscarMadison and Spartan Squad like this.
  10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I've been wondering about this. I rode the filthy, congested hellhole of the London Underground for weeks and didn't catch anything (...or at least had no symptoms.)

A bunch of young folks go to a picnic on a sunlit beach for an hour and they all come down with it. And I think, Wow, picnics sure got a whole lot more fun since I left the states.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

This is making its rounds on my feed. Sounds like the latest order to stop allowing indoor activities where people take off masks was ambiguous enough that the state's ABC agency shutdown outdoor dining. Wineries, breweries and distilleries had to cease outdoor activities but restaurants were allowed to stay open. And in this particular county, indoor dining had never reopened to begin with. But the rending of garments is pretty funny to watch on Facebook.

Morgan Hill Times | State shuts down Morgan Hill restaurants

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why COVID-19 Makes People Lose Their Sense of Smell

If I'm reading this correctly, it is more likely to be happening on the way to the brain rather than in the brain itself, but the research on the topic is not complete.

Many respiratory viruses can cause a loss of smell or taste, though it is more common with COVID-19. There is some indication that it causes damage to the olfactory nerve. A diminished sense of smell can make a person think they have lost some of their ability to taste as well.

COVID-19: Loss of Smell, Taste Might Be Long-Term

The recovery of those senses can be slow and it may not happen at all for some patients. For many people infected by COVID, the loss of their sense of smell may be the only symptom they have. It's just another way this virus can do real damage even if it doesn't kill the patient.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted