1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Haven't seen 14 straight day of cases decreasing.

upload_2020-6-30_8-14-56.png

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think it depends on where you live. Here? This is the first wave for us.

Speaking of ... the neighborhood Catholic Church is hosting a drive-through C19 testing clinic today. It's being run by my doctor's office. At 7 am, there were more than 20 cars lined up for an 8 am start per my wife who saw it on a morning run. I drove past a little before 9 and the line stretched from the testing site on the west side of the sanctuary, through the big parking lot on the south side, out onto the street to the east, up 100 yards to the north to a four-way stop and then back to the west another 100 yards to completely encircle the church. I'm guessing at least 100 vehicles.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And that's why you'll never get 14 or whatever consecutive days of declining cases.

Test 330 million people on Monday, then again on Tuesday, then again on Wednesday, and so on for two weeks.

THEN you might get an accurate measure of what cases are doing.

But if you test 30,000 on Monday, 50,000 on Tuesday, 70,000 on Wednesday . . . no, that won't tell you anything. And it's likely to mislead the hell out of you.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

First wave never stopped. Second wave in October or so, much like 1918.

5. Neutral Corner

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Went and got the COVID antibody test done yesterday. Came back positive. I know the timeline doesn't jibe quite right, but that I was convinced that illness I had in December and January that left me hardly able to breathe for a good week and unable to fully talk for nearly a month was something.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That's my prediction as well; we're still in the first wave.
    What dafuq does it matter tho? Our fixation on nebulous scoreboard stats and journey terminology is ridiculous.

SFIND likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Add in the valleys in the stats for every weekend.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Goldman Sachs Says Mandatory Masks Could Keep U.S. Economy Going

Jan Hatzius, the chief economist at Goldman Sachs, did a little back of the envelope math, and wrote something saying that a national mask mandate could convince 15 percent more people to wear masks, which would cut the daily growth rate of cases by 1 percent. He then translated that into its GDP impact, and concluded that a mask mandate could end lockdowns that will reduce growth by almost 5 percent.

Put it into the context of that idiotic, "economy vs. health" argument that was being made by people who had no understanding of the economy or the health implications of the virus. ... and what he's saying (and this is common sense) is that if you are "all about the economy," then masks have been the best economic policy available, given that the virus spreading the way it is now is a formula for economic activity to come to a standstill, and masks are the most effective tool we have for stopping the spread.

But. ... we are a nation of idiots, so. ...

SFIND, Dog8Cats and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I gave blood two weeks ago. They are now doing anti-body testing as part of the donation. Mine came back negative. Hope you are feeling better.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We're the shithole country.

Draft saved Draft deleted