1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Like NC, an uninformed stab without immediately seeing the link you are looking at: CDC could say the 0.26 death rate is total deaths divided by total cases (which is how I've calculated death rates this whole time). The world rate takes away those who are still infected and divides deaths by the remaining total. So if the total cases is 1 million and the CDC sees 2,600 deaths you get 0.26 percent. But the World total takes away the 977,000 cases that are still active so you are left with 2,600 deaths against 23,000 resolved cases and 11 percent of those are dying.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Mngwa likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Amazing since the virus doesn't exist. Isn't that the only true conservative position on the topic?

garrow likes this.
  3. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I was in high school and my friend and I made a pretty decent amount selling coffee and donuts off a wagon to the people in line.
    (Sorry I’m way behind but I was spending all my time trying to keep up with the president and racist threads. But I had a good time following the dr. Libertarian exchanges taking the “we shouldn’t tell people what to do” side.
    Libertarians - simple answers for hard problems.

4. tapintoamerica

Does this mean play is limited to games in which all cards are visible to all participants? If so, how many games meet that policy? I know nothing. But wouldn't that rule out poker?

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

What I find frightening is that the attitude seems to be growing that it's over and we don't need to do as much about it any more. Certainly that's Trumps attitude. I'm afraid that there will be a new wave in the fall without a shutdown, because "that's too disruptive of the economy".

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The line that keeps getting thrown around is we shut down to buy hospitals time and now that we've bought them time, we should throw off the restrictions. Or we don't have as many cases as people feared so let's open. It's like saying the fire department has the house fire contained so it won't burn down the neighborhood, now let's send the fire department home. We still have a house fire to fight and it could still flair up and burn down the neighboring houses, but Donny doesn't like the flashing lights outside.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Blackjack dealt face up, with three players per table. Four players on roulette, six on craps. No poker.

8. tapintoamerica

I have probably written this before, but I think this thing is all going to come down to how much we're willing to tolerate. If, for example, the ultimate death toll is 300,000, do we decide that represents thousands of needless deaths? Or do we rationalize that it represents 1 of every 1,000 Americans, a number that seems small?
    As much as his klan wants to mimic his tough-guy act and claim we have to Reopen Amurrica, are they going to put their money where their uncovered mouths are? If some country band announces it's going on tour this summer, how many will occupy the arena or the stadium in Nashville or Jacksonville? And what of the big klan meeting, the Trumpist Convention? Lots of tough talk from cities other than Charlotte, but have any of them made a deal that accedes to all of the dear leader's demands?

9. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

This is why you are full of shit. Your daughter has a phone, FaceTime, a computer with zoom and plenty of other apps that she knows how to use better than I do.
    If she hasn’t seen her friend in monthes, she has chosen not to. A girl down the block from me regularly has lunch with different friends, with her sitting on the curb in front of her house and the friend sitting on the curb on the other side of the street. I pass there almost every day, and she’s out there 2, 3 times a week.
    So like I said, you are full of shit.
    And again, I apologize for being so far behind.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

But what about my riblets?

11. tapintoamerica

Are you sure of what Doctor Quant's daughter's situation is? If she has chosen to not to interact with her friends out of concern for them, good for her. Perhaps she doesn't have geographical convenience.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That’s going to be interesting. Smartphones have already increased our “work” time. Working from home will too. Oh, you don’t need to commute? Great now you can start earlier/go later.

Draft saved Draft deleted