1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Read it again. You can get COVID 19 from a surface, but it is very unlikely. Being precise about these things is important.

tapintoamerica and Jerry-atric like this.
  2. outofplace

No, it really isn't, because the teachers will have to find a way to work with both the students who are present and the ones who are working from home.

There is probably a percentage of the student population that is safer in school than at home, but that isn't the issue. The issue is that wealthier families will have a choice and poor ones won't.

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Very true.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Buddy, the rich kids will be back in school. An overwhelming number. What they're going to do to these schools...well, it'll cost some money, but it'll be safer than whatever summer is about to look like for many of these kids.

5. outofplace

That is my concern, that schools won't take the proper measures to be safe in some places because they don't have the money.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Exactly. Where are they going to get the money to cover the expense of safety? For years, Trumpist state governments have been starving education at all levels, guided by the fear that their children are learning insidious things like evolution or the notion that the Civil War was fought over slavery. There be neither will nor means to implement best practices. If school resumes in person, everybody will be at the mercy of a virus that may make a comeback in November.

7. outofplace

It isn't just some states where schools will have trouble paying for the necessary changes. The economy took a big hit. We've got state governments in trouble as well as local ones and Republicans in Congress who are too focused on bailing out big corporations and cutting taxes for the rich to give the state governments the help they need. What state can afford to increase funding to schools right now?

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Alabama was finally about to get state education funding back to where it was in 2008 when the recession hit. I say "was about to" because those funding measures didn't get passed after Corona hit. The state budget is perpetually underfunded because the R's swore to Grover Norquist never to raise a tax, no matter what the necessity.

Where are the dollars to make kids safe in (non-private, non-rich) schools going to come from?

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  9. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I was told there would be no math!

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Seeing people out and about with the nicer weather, I have to say that human behavior will take over and the social distancing thing will not last long. the more people are out the more they will want to be and they will be careless and not even realize their behavior. Not condemning or complaining about it, just what I think will happen.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Ask me why I just invested in a box of KN95 masks.

We're going to get a spike, at least here in the South. We're also going to get a full on second wave, which will be more like the first wave here. It's going to take a nice high body count to make a dent in the invincible ignorance.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've seen lots of rules broken as I'm sure we all have. Restrictions aren't going to work much longer and I think that's a big part why many are going away. We'll have to wait and see if it is mostly OK. Hopefully it is at least for the summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted