1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And now California.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

By this time next week, this is the only story people will be talking about. The financial impacts are going to be staggering...let's hope, for only a brief time.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Stock market dropped like a rock today, theoretically over this story. I doubt that the news gets better before Monday's opening, either.

I can't wait till Trump starts reassuring us that the virus is nothing to worry about and all is well.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On every local news station in Boston tonight, virus was the lead with impeachment either second or third story.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I've had a pretty good run, so if it kills anyone in my family, I hope it's me. My wife and kids have a lot of living left to do.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Reminder. The chances of catching and then dying from the plain old flu are like about 1000 times more than catching and dying from this. Yet less than half of adult Americans get a flu shot every year. Las Vegas isn't the only thing in our society that says we suck at estimating risk.

Jssst21 and sgreenwell like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

We get flu shots religiously. Hell, I used to give flu shots.

We're unlikely to see a significant epidemic in the U.S., but it's like preparing for a hurricane. It's in the gulf and it might go anywhere, but its coming your way. You can buy the stuff you need or leave, or you can do nothing. Do the prep but don't panic.

Stats on this say it kills old people and those with impaired immune systems most.

maumann likes this.
  8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

TigerVols likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Last week, China reported 4,400 cases. Today the number topped 17,000.

10. Neutral Corner

11. Neutral Corner

Li Wenliang, Chinese doctor who sounded alarm on coronavirus, has died - CNN

This is one of the consequences of a true pandemic that is seldom considered by the public. Doctors and nurses, hospital and health care workers in general will die in droves if one ever breaks loose. Most of these people will keep coming in to work through the early stages of an outbreak, and they will be exposed, sicken, and die. Their skills and care will be desperately needed, the more so as it ramps up and more of them die. The thing is that at some point, every one working in those jobs will have to decide if it is worth getting up and going in to work at infection central every day at the risk of death or becoming infected and bringing it home to kill their spouse and kids. This would create a massive drain on experienced doctors and health care in general when it is most needed.

RIP Li Wenliang, you did the right thing. At least you won't have to suffer in a Chinese re-education camp.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted