1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I mean, where are our four million tests?

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Smoking guns! Get your red hot smoking guns here!

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

A year ago, being a 'social scientist' was reason enough to dismiss someone's views and loudly try to dunk on them in a Congressional hearing.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ius-rep-takes-hit-after-he-challenges-n993646

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I have a few thoughts on that. It's nearly three in the morning, so this might not be put as elegantly as it should be.

Poli sci, sociology, and anthropology are not sciences. They use scientific method to create descriptions of human behavior. They borrow methodologies from the "hard" sciences to study physical artifacts and assess living conditions based on climate patterns or quantitative conditions such as CICO. The truth is, they are humanities with a scientific bent.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    2muchcoffeeman, qtlaw and misterbc like this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

That’s 1:100 Americans tested if we get that.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Exactly, let’s be real. I’ve seen the people in the labs working with electron microscopes; it’s so much harder than studying people interacting in the street (social science). Hard sciences are sooo much tougher.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'd love to sit Navarro's ass in a college biology 101 classroom and let him try cellular respiration on for size. "I'm a doctor of the social sciences". Right.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’m sorry, but the concept of a National Sentinel Surveillance System gives me hives.

Driftwood and Batman like this.
  11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

what if we called it the patriot virus act

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hell, we already had a patriot virus. It hit back in the twenty-oughts.

(I promise that despite being an X-Men fanboy, the reason National Sentinel Surveillance System gives me hives is not this:

[​IMG]

Just too much opportunity for abuse, like so many NSA projects we’ve heard about over the past two decades.)

Draft saved Draft deleted