1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You might be right, but rates went up last weekend and the weekend before that. It's the first time since they reported cases that the number was lower than the day before for three straight days. Again, interesting of late. Let's see if it's a trend going forward.

Number of deaths from the previous day seems to be settling. Since an increase of 18 on March 31, it's been 11, 17, 14, 15, 14, 10

I'm not saying Colorado has reached the peak. Just saying the rate of doubling of cases, hospitalizations and deaths has slowed a lot. Certainly need more data, but it *seems* encouraging. This could change tomorrow with a spike of 400 new cases.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It's played a role so let's see where things are in a few days. Today isn't over so wouldn't be surprised if today ends up being the about the deadliest day across the country. But Tuesdays have shot up a ton the past few weeks. We're still also at five straight days of 1,000 plus deaths, which is just awful. There are signs of the curve leveling, but can't deny the numbers are still staggering. Plus, if the curve levels and stays there for a long time, that's pretty bad too. Two or three weeks of 1,000 deaths a day adds up pretty quickly.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I haven't looked closely at other states so it's hard to see how Colorado compares, but Colorado seems to be reporting differently and more detailed. Nationally Sundays have definitely had a lag. Colorado also got on the shutdown bandwagon pretty fast. Even though stay-at-home orders didn't happen for a while, things were pretty much shut down by the weekend of March 14th. That definitely should be enough time to see some results and looks like we are.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    MileHigh likes this.
  4. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Just posted this on Facebook:
    So it’s been 3 or 4 weeks since our world as we know it was stopped. Is it too much to ask that we be shown a plan for what we are going to do, and where exactly we are in that plan?
    I honestly don’t think we can keep going like this for much longer without some idea when this ends. We need a target.

Alma and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I’m friends with the mayor of a New York municipality that happens to be the county seat. She said the first two positive cases from the county, which came from that city, were from folks who actually tested negative, but they have remained in the official state count.

6. MileHigh

May 1. Long way off, but that seems to be the target date.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

My belief is that it'll go a little past May 1, maybe around May 20-25th.

Then I think some companies are going to step forward and put together a plan, if it's restaurant chains there's going to be some temporary standards and crowd measures. It's not just going to go from zero-to-100. There's going to be a process.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

It's funny that the usual Twitter suspects are being holier than thou..."don't wish death on this man, he has a wife and unborn child"...Ok, but I guarantee I can't show more disrespect to his family than he has by wanting to be an ignorant tough guy just to prove to his populist supporters that he's a dick-swinging leader that too strong for science and health standards.

I don't want any single person to die from this, but he didn't clearly didn't give a fuck about his wife and unborn kid when he was insistent on shaking hands and telling the doctors to go fuck themselves, so I'm sorry if the shame game falls on these deaf ears.

9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

California’s gov is saying the peak in that state will be mid-May. I haven’t even paid that much attention to Florida statewide numbers so haven’t watched California. I would have guessed they were past their peak.

Palm Beach County has gone from 423 positives last Monday to 1,082 tonight. County testing is so inadequate, I don’t see how that statistic tells us anything. Deaths have gone from 8 to 51, consistently the highest number of deaths in the State. Hospitalizations have gone from 46 to 176. These are the numbers that concern me.

I was talking to a friend about the psychological toll from the uncertainty and lack of control. I am having crazy, complicated, classic anxiety dreams every night even though in the scheme of things, I have nothing to be anxious about.

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. MileHigh

This stuff is varying location-by-location, state-by-state. Some will come out of this sooner than others.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

May 1 would be great ... I'm hoping to be out and about on Memorial Day.

12. MileHigh

If we aren't partially reopening by May 1 -- or at least have a very-close target date for doing so -- then we've got more issues than we have now.

Draft saved Draft deleted