1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

So true that people need to get out. even if it is just in your own neighborhood. Saw lots of driveways on one street with encouraging messages written in chalk.

So far, in CT, this is on state park websites.

NOTICE: COVID-19 UPDATE: The trails and grounds of Connecticut State Parks and Forests are open for solitary outdoor enjoyment. If you plan to visit a park, it should be for solitary recreation, not group activities. Please plan ahead as many amenities and indoor facilities are closed, and visitors must practice social distancing. COVID-19 Updates CT State Parks and Forests

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Mental health is important also, if we only could be responsible about it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Because of the lack of automobile traffic, there has been a decided increase in the number of cyclists in my hilly, wooded neighborhood. That is recreation where social distancing is easy. Lots of walkers around, too, like me. Not just on sidewalks, there's recreation land with trails that isn't exactly a park and has never gotten much traffic but neighbors. Now, I live in a suburb and it's tougher for people in cities. But with the autos gone, there's more opportunity for people on foot.

misterbc and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I took a 22.5-mile tour of my city yesterday on bike. It was great. Very little in the way of vehicle traffic. Planning on going out again today after work for some more miles.

misterbc, garrow and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

don't fall for the gaslighting here

or here

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The one at the track was announced a couple days ago along with the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and CUNY Staten Island and the Expo Center in the Bronx.

I think the tents going up in Central Park took a lot of people by surprise. Something symbolic in it, I guess. In the same way the Central Park Hooverville stood for the Crash.

Javits opens today, and maybe the hospital ship.

Christ.

7. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

With all due respect, I don't see how it is selfish for people to lay outside in the sun and read a book. The whole point of social distancing is to avoid the intermingling of large groups. The original suggestion was to wash your hands and avoid mass gatherings. People could not abide by that, so they lowered it to 200. People could not abide by that so they shut down the bars and restaurants and said no groups bigger than 10. The severity of the restrictions is mostly to convince people they should take them seriously. This was never intended to be a situation where you shut yourself off from all social contact and sunlight for two months. What are the odds that you get sick or get someone else sick by lying outside in the sun reading a book? And even if you happen to be doing it with someone else, as long as you are only doing it with each other, what is the harm?

In a perfect world we could all lose consciousness for six weeks and wake back up and the disease would be over. Attempting to replicate that isn't practical or sustainable.

Gutter, JimmyHoward33, Cosmo and 2 others like this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, I didn't get that, either.

Yes, someone seeing me in a park or at the grocery store right next to my wife may scoff, "They're not social distancing!" Not with each other, we're not. But I interact with no one else, and neither does she, so what's the big deal?

9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

That poor man. Bless him for trying to help.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Finally starting to modify / convert CPAP machine to respirators / ventilators. In the UK.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A friend of mine who had the virus died yesterday.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ah, shit. Sorry for your loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted