1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Honestly I'm going to take the kids are resilient stance (I have a kindergartner through 10th grader and a couple in-between), and things will catch up. I think you extend and add and everything else you're going to have a huge brushback. My kids are good students, knock on wood, and haven't felt they've regressed. The kindergartner was slow without the benefit of in person but it has been OK and he's slowly catching up. I would hate time added and I can only imagine how the kids and other families would feel. If anything the end of last year with no planning on how to do the remote learning was way worse than this year has been.

OscarMadison, outofplace and MileHigh like this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fair. I don't have kids. I only see the nephew and niece and hear how things are going every couple of weeks. And, well, they're in BVSD, which operates differently than, say, St. Vrain or others. You're not going to please everyone or make them all happy. There will always be people bitching.

From my sister's perspective, she'd prefer a longer school year with more time off during that time instead of the majority of it from Memorial Day until early August, mostly keeping schools on break in the winter months when sickness usually breaks out. Hard to do here in the Rockies during the summer when everyone is seemingly outside.

3. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

You can add onto that the fact that the teachers are exhausted. I have nothing to base this on other than a hunch, but I expect massive defections from the profession after the school year.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Also, there are a lot of 'climatological' issues with year-round schooling. Most buildings at least in my youth were not air conditioned and even if they were, the bills for that are going to be massive, not to mention power, school lunch food and various other 'consumables' that districts didn't budget for at the beginning of the year.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The replies to this tweet are heartbreaking, but in a good way.

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And yet the same people who want to go back to the way things were in the 1950s now are against that because they think the one of the richest men in the world is conspiring with the government to put microchips in vaccines so the government can zap forests with lasers fueled by the blood of aborted fetuses, so that pedophiles who operate in the basement of a pizza parlor without a basement in the building won’t have a place to hide when the New World Order takes over thanks to Agenda 21.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I understand how public health medicine works, but six people out of almost 7 million dosed got blood clots? Massachusetts has about 7 million residents. Nineteen of them died of covid YESTERDAY. The math doesn't seem to work here.

SFIND, Hermes and Cosmo like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just read the Times story and all six blood clot victims were women between the ages of 18-48. While obviously that's a large demographic, it isn't that large a group among the vaccinated. No woman in that age range (nor man) has been eligible for vaccination here in Mass. yet except health care workers, first responders and teachers. Bad news: That means the risk for that group is obviously larger than one in a million. Good news: If it's such a relatively specific risk group, guidelines for use of that particular vaccine can be adjusted relatively easily.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They have only been giving the J&J vaccine for 5 or 6 weeks, so they are trying to be cautious. I think they are doing the right thing. These are the kinds of symptoms that could take weeks after the vaccination for people to experience. At the least, they want to be able to educate health care workers about the way to treat the type of blot clot they are seeing. I believe they would normally give someone heparin or a similar blood thinner, but that can be dangerous with these clots because there were also reduced platelet counts in the women they observed.

Draft saved Draft deleted