1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Gov. DeSantis did not criticize the CVS announcement on Thursday, but stood by his own policy of focusing on getting (RICH CAMPAIGN DONATING) seniors vaccinated.

FTFY

garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Anything posted by Eric Feigl-Dingleberry

doctorquant likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Trump took one look at Covid and saw it as a danger to his political standing. Potentially deadly, hard and expensive to fight. His first instincts are to duck it and foist it off on someone else, to position someone to be the fall guy. It wasn't his fault. Instead of getting out front and leading a fight, being an example and pushing for progress, it was "If I let them off the boat they'll add them to the count."

lakefront and SFIND like this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A true leader takes on that challenge. This schmuck sat with his dick in his hand while 400,000 people died under his watch.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I said it on here somewhere long ago and I'm sure many others have too, but when that model changed to 60,000 dead or whatever it was early on, just when Trump might have sort of been changing his tune when there were models of more than 200,000 dead, it all went down hill way faster than it ever had been. It was at that moment people in power decided, meh, I can live with that and nothing really more was done to try and get ahead of it.

OscarMadison, MileHigh and wicked like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Well, Gov. Ivey extended our mask mandate until April 9th. She's really been a bit better through all of this than I expected. She's played Covid more conservatively than many of her Red State Governor colleagues.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I don't think Trump and his people thought a vaccine within a year was impossible. They went with "fuck it" as a solution.

If they would have gone with science and a possible vaccine, we would have a smoother rollout right now and probably be out of this by May. But we started slow, and now we are paying for it.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

The only way that has a chance to work is if something so gawdawful that it scares the shit out of the powers that be gets loose. Something on the Black Plague scale of numerous rapidly dead people. They'd have to ring it with the military who have honest to god shoot to kill orders for people trying to get out, and actually doing it. The problem is that anything that bad is likely to already be out and running before they could get an enforceable border approved and organized. They'll dither and worry about optics and the horse will be long out of the barn before they actually moved.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This is what happens with someone with a 3-year-old's mentality of a leader is voted in.

He wanted power. He wanted everyone to kiss the ring. He wanted none of the responsibility, and he wasn't the first bit interested in doing any of the work.

A leader addresses the issue. The Subhuman Pile of Crime saw his enterprises – the ones he refused to relinquish to his family while in office – and his shoo-in re-election threatened and ignored, imploring his lemmings to do the same.

Now, 530,000 in the country are dead ... and counting.

How many could have been saved with actual leadership and acknowledgement of the issue at hand?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    lakefront, garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

On the bright side, the pandemic seems to be nearing its end.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I completely agree that Trump started the politicization of the virus with his instinctive "if it might make me look bad it must be a lie" mental illness.

But it's not as if the left had to be dragged kicking and screaming into that fight with great reluctance. They saw a chance to pin a disaster on Trump and went for it gleefully. Lives could have been saved with a less partisan approach and there was no interest in it.

You see it in threads like this to this day. You *cannot* talk about the virus without three people showing up to talk about how important it is to make sure we talk about all the things Trump did wrong. To them, there is no other story to be told, the pandemic is no more complicated than that. They are wrong.

BTExpress likes this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Did "the left" try to discourage people from wearing masks? Did "the left" open up states like Texas and Florida too early? Did "the left" encourage Trump to lie about the seriousness of the virus, and then downplay it for months when it became obvious this wasn't the flu? Did "the left" silence Fauci by sidelining him from task force updates for months? Did "the left" hire an unqualified radiologist to be the head of the Covid task force?

Please tell me what "the left" could have done to help improve Trump's stellar approach to fighting the virus by "taking a less partisan approach." Drink more bleach, perhaps? Open up a few more state capitols to armed mobs, like happened in Michigan and Oregon?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted