1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

No! No! No! No! No! This week makes a year since I've sheltered in place! Nononononononononononono!

WHAT?

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Re: folks not getting the vaccine.

It’s not just themselves they are endangering. The more who don’t, the easier it is to spread among them and mutate — possibly to a strain that is more lethal and doesn’t respond to current vaccines.

I appreciate Rick’s updates, but I’m not at the point that I believe we’ll be back to normal by Memorial Day.

One of my best and oldest friends is apparently not going to get it, saying he doesn’t like that it is “kinda turning into a religious movement.” This might be the end of a 45-year friendship. Which is sad.

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I don't think there's anyway Florida can vaccinate everyone by the end of May.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

100 percent vaccination will never be achieved. But 75-80 percent is considered a high enough rate to consider the virus under control. It can't be eliminated.

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

FL will never be that high by the end of May.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The Johnson and Johnson vaccine really is confident

garrow likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The big problem with not getting vaccinated is that it allows for more infections later. Each time Covid is passed is a chance for the virus to mutate. We need to get people to go on and do it.

I can't even get on FB any more. Too many "they're not gonna try an experimental vaccine on me" and various other BS. I last ten minutes at the outside before I close that frame.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Wish we had them here. Publix has been pretty good, but HEB seems to be the gold standard.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I believe Abbott’s order prohibits municipalities from setting up stricter rules on masks. I’m not sure how that will work.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Massachusetts is now up to about 50K vaccinations a day, with 1.8 million shots delivered and about 600K people having gotten both doses. At this pace, with a goal of vaccinating 4 million, it'd take quite a bit longer than the end of May to get there, but of course, this doesn't consider either the Johnson and Johnson vaccine or the ramping up of supply. Right now there are many more places capable of delivering the shots than there are shots to deliver. So my guess is the state won't be too far short of its goal by Memorial Day.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Local hospital had extra doses/appointments for vaccinations this week. An ad rep who works with said hospital announced the openings to everyone at work on Monday, and many of us (including me!!!) were able to get times.

Then we also had people spouting conspiracy BS about the vaccine, the plannedemic, etc. So even given a huge break and a chance to cut in line, they don't want to get a vaccine (Pfizer) that's 95 percent effective against COVID.

I hope they have fun getting infected with their fellow anti-science brethren at the mask burning event on Saturday.

HanSenSE, Dyno and lakefront like this.
  12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We had our first Moderna vax this afternoon. A friend called earlier this week and told us a family clinic 45 miles from our home was vaccinating people who either could prove tribal membership or were 55 or older. The clinic is connected to the Indian Health Service and, apparently, had an abundance of doses.

Draft saved Draft deleted