1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This is very good news.

The vaccines are bringing a swift end to the pandemic.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I doubt the mask mandate is going anywhere until our positivity rate is back in the 1-2 percent range. It just dipped below 8 today for the first time in months. We're slowly reopening in Virginia, though. Starting Monday, restaurants can stay open and serve until midnight rather than 10 p.m. Gatherings can go from 10 to 25 indoors and up to 1,000 outdoors (up from 250). If the rate continues to drop, I expect more loosening at the end of March.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hell, I think Asa said he's dumping the mask mandate if Arkansas gets below 10 percent between now and the end of March.

4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This is tremendous news.

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Alice and I got our first Pfizer shots today. An efficient and pretty easy process, except for having to drive through downtown Worcester, including the area that's ground under repair because it's where they're building the new home for the Red Sox' AAA franchise. Never been in a town with more thoroughly unsynchronized traffic lights.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Here’s a good site to follow if you’re still in need of a first dose:

Find your Vaccine Hunting Group

There also are “vaccine hunter” groups covering specific areas popping up on Facebook.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My niece with cystic fibrosis, who got a great report from her doctor at Vanderbilt a month ago, is in Tuscaloosa as we speak getting her first vaccine dose. Here’s to brighter days.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

More counties here loosening restrictions. Vaccines expanded to those 60-64 starting end of next week, expected to include those 50 and up by the end of March.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In good news, Vax timelines getting moved up in Oregon as far more doses become available.
    All Oregonians eligible for the COVID vaccine by July 1 -- those 45 and older with underlying conditions by March 29

In bad news, my county remains in almost total lockdown despite having the LOWEST positivity rate in the state, lower cases per 100,000 than three of the four neighboring counties and between 1/3 to 1/7 of the deaths as our adjoining counties. The four adjoining counties all have fewer restrictions regarding dining, athletic clubs, etc.

Our problem is, we test far more than other counties, because of Microville Tech, which comprises about 20% of the county population. Oregon's metrics on what can open are based on total cases per 100,000, not positivity rate. So the more you test, the more cases you'll find.

Microville Tech greatly increased testing on Feb. 1. All dorm students, faculty and staff, fraternity/sorority groups and other university randoms now get tested weekly, so obviously there are more positive tests. We had 82 positive cases last week; 68 were from MT.

Other counties have greatly reduced testing and are putting their resources into the vaccination centers. No testing, no positives, you can open up because you're not finding positive cases. So we're getting punished for testing more and trying to stay safe.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Got the second dose today. Bring in on, covid. I triple dog dare you!

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I got my second dose (Pfizer) yesterday. Preemptively took Advil first thing in the AM, worked for most of the day and forgot to take more, and then started feeling lousy before clockout time. I took more Advil and then I was better, but they are right about the second-shot slump.

lakefront and Deskgrunt50 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted