1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It may have changed since then, but when I used Othena (I used the app and not the web site) it said no appointments available every day until Sunday morning, when they suddenly released a whole week's worth of appointments.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Somebody in my NEXTDOOR group posted that new appointments are made available every day at 8 p.m. I think that was erroneous.

RickStain likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Mass. has lifted its 9:30 p.m. curfew on businesses and its general stay-at-home advisory as of Monday. Officials here have mostly been out in front on stuff, so that's interesting.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My sixth-grader went to in-person classes for the first time this school year. It's two days at school and three at home. For now. I have no confidence that she will end the school year on campus, especially with twenty or thirty thousand petri dish college students back in town and spreading their special brand of stupid.

Aaand ... one of my wife's best work friends has Covid — and my wife was in her office on Monday or Tuesday, before her friend was diagnosed. Mrs. Swingline was only there for 10 minutes, she said, and they were masked and distant. But my wife is working from home today and tomorrow just in case she somehow caught it.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We had/still have governments CLOSING BUSINESSES for months "for the public good", and we're worried about THIS?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Alabama is ranked at the bottom of vaccine distribution. I was soooo surprised. The State Dept. of Health announced yesterday that any of the entities who were distributed vaccine and are not getting it into arms will have their stock taken back and given to hospitals and offices who are doing a better job.

On the local front, UAB is one of the biggest outlets for vaccine in the state. They have emailed their entire patient list and begun a list of patients wanting the immunization as the state reaches the various levels of access. It's currently still going to health care workers, first responders, and those over 75, so still 1(a). My wife is a 1(b) and has already signed up, and as her caregiver I will get in on that as well. I'm not quite 65, so I get a small line jump.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Reuters / Japan Times quoting an anonymous source inside the Japanese government that they've privately conceded they can't host the Olympics this summer.

Today, I'm kind of team, "You've had a year to sort this out and this is the best you can do? Fuck you guys!" but I don't know any Japanese.

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It was unrealistic to think there could be an Olympics this year.

SFIND and swingline like this.
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Rings won't stay six feet apart.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Big drop in hospital census today. Hospitalized and ICU both drop 2.5% over yesterday, 7% over the same day the previous week.

Cases are down 20% from the previous week, while tests are up 1%, which is the first time that cases have dropped while tests went up in a week since September.

I don't know how long we can keep up this pace, but this is an accelerating freefall.

Deskgrunt50 and MileHigh like this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A 12,000-athlete Olympics? No. A smaller event? Possibly.

Mngwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted