1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

that’s true, but we are living the one time the long shot became a problem. We forget about the many, many times it did not

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. Go back to February/March. NO ONE could have foreseen what unfolded. And as we push a year, it's still beyond confounding.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's a bloody miracle to me, of science anyway, that a solution emerged nine months after first-infection in the U.S. (Seattle?) A flawed solution but one nonetheless.

However shitty everything else might look it's proof the long arm of discovery is still OK.

4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This past year has been very difficult.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

And when I look back on the early weeks of the pandemic - I don't wish to reflect on it again when we're on the other side of it - I think one thing in the reporting that freaked everyone out was when a young guy, 19 I want to say, was among the earliest American fatalities.

RickStain likes this.
  6. RickStain

I’m incredibly excited for what mRNA technology does in the future. It’s an unbelievable medical breakthrough with broad implications

7. 3_Octave_Fart

Big time.

This is Vasco de Gama tooling around in wherever the fuck he was before the big discoveries came.

If they can use the cell to trick the invader, which in my reptilian mind is the understanding, then it's one stop on the road to defeating cancer.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That's one of the mindfucks of this whole thing. The fact that it took only about a year from emergence to initial vaccination is a remarkable accomplishment of scientific progress. And yet every single day of "social distancing," every single case contracted and every single death constitutes a gross failure of public health, government, the medical community and society at large. And not all of that can be blamed on Donald Trump or the Chinese Communist Party. None of us gets any of that time back, or health back, or lives back, and so I am both incredibly impressed and incredibly pissed.

OscarMadison, wicked and MileHigh like this.
  9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

It is interesting that it cannot be applied to HIV, however.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

If you haven't me on ignore, I'd like to see evidence of that.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They canceled the St. Patrick's Day Parade for a second consecutive year here.

Life does matter more than a party, of course, but the bars along the route do a significant share of their trade on that day. Not that they would've been open this year... but that's now two years in a row they're taking a massive hit.

12. RickStain

Draft saved Draft deleted