1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'll take that bet. 3-4 weeks is a long time for hospitalizations to peak after an event.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Went there now and then when I worked at VCU, it was quite gross then and I can't imagine it is any better now.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'd take "good enough to play" on Opening Day and at least some fans around Memorial Day. No one wants to attend an MLB game above the Mason-Dixon Line before mid-May anyhow.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

nhl is already open to fans in some places. Baseball outdoors is gonna have some fans in April for sure

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I said at the start of this mess that when I’m allowed to go, I’m going to a Giants baseball game. Yesterday’s debacle aside, I hopefully will get the vaccine soon and I want to be in the stands. I really miss it.

MileHigh and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, my sincere hope is that some point this summer, I'm sitting at Camden Yards watching a game or two.

Spartan Squad and OscarMadison like this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

Meet John Hollis. He’s a former sports journalist for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, so some of y’all may already know him. (He may even post here already, so if he does … Hi, John!)

He’s become a key player in the fight against COVID-19, because his immune system makes “super antibodies.”

He unknowingly had Covid-19. Now his blood contains rare antibodies.

lakefront and OscarMadison like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's pretty cool. Thanks for that.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They oughta do a TV show about him. Wait, they did.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I was coming to post that from WaPo. Project Warp Speed, ptui!

Vaccine reserve was already exhausted when Trump administration vowed to release it, dashing hopes of expanded access

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/01/15/trump-vaccine-reserve-used-up/

"When Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced this week that the federal government would begin releasing coronavirus vaccine doses held in reserve for second shots, no such reserve existed, according to state and federal officials briefed on distribution plans. The Trump administration had already begun shipping out what was available beginning at the end of December, taking second doses directly off the manufacturing line.

Now, health officials across the country who had anticipated their extremely limited vaccine supply as much as doubling beginning next week are confronting the reality that their allocations will not immediately increase, dashing hopes of dramatically expanding eligibility for millions of elderly people and those with high-risk medical conditions. Health officials in some cities and states were informed in recent days about the reality of the situation, while others are still in the dark.

Because both of the vaccines authorized for emergency use in the United States are two-dose regimens, the Trump administration’s initial policy was to hold back second doses to protect against the possibility of manufacturing disruptions. But that approach shifted in recent weeks, according to the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter. The result is that next week’s allocations will remain flat.

These officials were told that Operation Warp Speed, the Trump administration’s initiative to speed the development of vaccines and therapeutics, stopped stockpiling second doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine at the end of last year, instead taking second doses directly off the manufacturing line. The last shots held in reserve of Moderna’s supply, meanwhile, began shipping out over the weekend.

The shift, in both cases, had to do with increased confidence in the supply chain, so that Operation Warp Speed leaders were confident they could reliably anticipate the availability of doses for booster shots — required three weeks later in the case of the Pfizer-BioNTech product and four weeks later under Moderna’s protocol.

But it also meant there was no stockpile of second doses waiting to be shipped, as Trump administration officials suggested this week. Azar, at a Tuesday briefing, said, “Because we now have a consistent pace of production, we can now ship all of the doses that had been held in physical reserve.” He explained the decision as part of the “next phase” of the nation’s vaccination campaign.

The lack of reserve is not expected to interfere with people getting their second shots. States are still getting a regular supply of vaccine, if smaller than they had anticipated, but officials say they are angry and bewildered by the shifting directions."

Draft saved Draft deleted