1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If Covid made men's genitals shrivel up and fall off, the entire nation would have been seriously locked down since March. Otherwise, you're right.

OscarMadison, lakefront and UPChip like this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

All my life, I have said that the day I retire, I'm done. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
    2020 has shown me that really isn't in my DNA. I have to have a purpose.
    My island has three fishing piers and a couple of other good shops.
    In retirement, my hope is to work 1-2 days a week selling bait, tackle, t-shirts, etc., talking to people.
    Pay me minimum wage. That will pay my property taxes.
    It's not that I want to "work" ... I just need something structured to occupy my time.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm curious how historians will remember this period in our history. Growing up, it was always ground in to my psyche how Americans endured the Depression and banded together, enlisting and here on the home front during World War II. Too young to know much about Vietnam, other than it was divisive. But I've been really disappointed in seeing how our nation has responded to Covid-19. Maybe some folks will lay it all on Trump - or the media - but when it comes down to it, we're all responsible for ourselves and how we respond to adversity. The truth is - science has been dead on (no pun intended) in their predictions and in their response (vaccines). People choosing to ignore facts, thats on them. Not a shining moment in our nation's history.
    PS - a vaccine is not a cure, so people choosing to risk death this weekend and get their party on - have at it. You will be improving the gene pool.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

(Looks again at story)

You know, you set out to lampoon rich people and you end up being defended by Tucker Carlson Tonight...

5. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

It seems like we've been trying to get a grasp of the problem with only half the people willing to do anything. That's unfortunate for everyone.

Maybe a previous poster was right; the tone might be different if the fatalities had included half a dozen members of Congress.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On the Cape there are hundreds, no, probably thousands, of retired people who do just that. The starter and pro shop manager at my golf course and many employees of all courses there. The guy who runs the greenhouse at the garden store. The woman landscape architect I know. The men and women who serve on unpaid local government boards. My most frequent golf partner works two days a week for Habitat for Humanity. I respect and understand that completely.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We eat too much.
    We drink too much.
    We don't exercise enough.
    14 percent of us STILL smoke.
    Doing the "right" thing for health --- at the expense of immediate enjoyment and convenience --- is not our natural behavior.

Why would that change because of the virus? To protect others? Yeah, right.

We're good at hate. That gets our toes tingling. We "banded together" in WWII because we had tangible enemies to hate. To punish. To watch suffer. To see surrender.
    And to pillage afterward to make us even stronger. Virus gives us none of that.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    lakefront and Jerry-atric like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I used to say that once there was a big enough die off, people would start to take it seriously. Data says that half the country is not going to unless someone they are close to gets killed.

In the meantime, that same half of the country puts everyone around them at risk.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I love how we conveniently break this down to "half" the country doing the wrong thing. Wink, wink. You know, "them." Those 73 million+ (and their ilk).

Despite mountains of evidence that both "halves" are doing a mighty fine job of sucking at this.

RickStain likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Unwittingly the Denver mayor’s actions play into the “hoax” argument. “He wouldn’t be traveling if this was a real problem!”

Also the resurrection of the Donald on the third day. Perfect, coincidental timing. Did we ever get a fair amount of clarity on what his special drug cocktail was?

MileHigh and OscarMadison like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was Josh Marshall who pointed out the Denver mayor was an idiot not only for what he did, but for thinking he could go through an airport without people noticing.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted