1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My doctor always seemed to have a near fetish for Vitamin D, including testing for this as part of an annual physical. She's certain that the reason I've recovered quickly and easily from the 3 surgeries I've had in the last year and a half is because of the Vitamin D. Maybe she's not a quack? LOL

maumann and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I got a call from the Health Department this morning and had to do this 20+ minute interview about my COVID. It was reassuring and hopefully accurate when the lady told me I was most likely exposed several days after close contact with my mother and not before.
    (Not sure what all I've laid out or not, so...)
    I tested positive on Oct. 22. My school system threw the doors wide open on Oct. 19 (prior to that, we had been at about half capacity). The HD said I probably picked it up the 19th or 20th. That would make sense because we've got a student who looks to be patient zero, and it just so happens he is in my class first period.
    None of it is surprising. This is an individual whose dad should have pulled out. I don't want to call someone worthless, but he is totally devoid of any redeeming qualities or usefulness to society. We've got several students and staff who have tested positive or are in quarantine directly because we were exposed to/by him. He was virtual to start the year, but his grandmother came to the school begging to let him come bricks and mortar because he refused to do any work at home. Heck, he doesn't do any work at school and was never going to graduate. The only thing that was accomplished was making other people sick because of his sorry ass.

HC and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My gym was holding an outdoor spin class in the parking lot this morning with blaring music and everything. About seven bikes, all spread way apart. I might be interested in participating in one of those, but definitely not an inside spin class.

Mngwa likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Some smart person explain how enclosing outdoor dining in weatherproof tents is safer than dining inside.

I'll wait.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Was disappointed a couple of weeks ago when we went out, expected to eat outside on a beautiful day, and saw the patio area bordered by fabric. WTF?

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's not. We're lucky that we're in a place that doesn't usually get super cold ... lots of days and evenings in the 40s-50s, even in the winter. A lot of places have invested heavily in outdoor heaters, which may extend our outside dining window.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

My PCP has been fanatical about D as well, particularly when my blood work shows deficiencies. Apparently as I've aged, my skin just makes cancer cells instead of Vitamin D from the sun's ray. Wonderful. I blame Scotland.

swingline and HC like this.
  8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My DNA is 100% Dutch. I don't spend time in the sun unless slathered in sunscreen. My childhood summers were a cycle of burn/peel/burn/peel. LOL

maumann likes this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'm 99.6% Scots-Irish with five generations of Canadian to boot, so everyone in my family tree was born in a Mackinaw jacket. My wife went to one of our family reunions, and remarked the men are all tall and ghost-like. I am melanin deficient, which means SPF at a level reserved for nuclear reactor employees because any one of my trillions of moles could go on meltdown at any moment.

Naturally, I've spent all but two of my 62 years between Florida-California-Texas-North Carolina-Georgia. The perfect storm for melanoma. My dermatologist probably named his yacht after me.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    I Should Coco and HC like this.
  10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Ha! I grew up in North Vancouver in an area which is classified as Temperate Rain Forest so too much sun was only a problem 2 months out of the year. Also, it wasn't until I moved to Montreal in my late 20's that I found out that I'm basically allergic to humidity. :)

maumann likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Or dead birds.

maumann likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Mine got me on Vitamin D due to some issues with my feet. One hour they'd feel like the North Pole, the next burning like Death Valley.

HC and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted