1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

There was little patience for fig-leaf cosplay libertarians in 2016 and there is very little patience for them and their land of make-believe now.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Corporate mendacity and pubic endangerment go hand in hand. This semester's syllabus will cover the McDonnell-Douglas DC-10, the Ford Pinto, the GM Corvair, lead paint, and the history of British passenger aviation.

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Heads they win, tails you lose!

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This feels like my kid asking me a serious question with an Aquaman mask on and underwear sticking out of his pants.
    Well, the nice thing is they're unwittingly starting to bare their fangs and show voters what they really think of people.
    Mike Lee's sneering "rank democracy" tweet smacked of the same anti-populist writings of Alexander Hamilton and notable Federalists 225 years ago.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Speaking of kids ...

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

North Idaho logic strikes again: Cases are surging, hospitals filled to capacity. So it's time lift the mask mandate! Here's the Associated Press story (EDIT: Link wasn't working, try this one)

Panhandle Health Board rescinds mask mandate in Kootenai County

Some quotes from the Panhandle Health District board of directors, which covers Idaho's five northernmost counties:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Horry County (myrtle beach area) also lifted the mask "mandate". They are taking power and civility away from businesses. At least the stores could say "we have to require it". This leaves them helpless. And that cases on the rise thing makes it bad timing, also.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Chicagoland.

‘It’s like they’re waiting for us to die’: why Covid-19 is battering Black Chicagoans

In Chicago, Covid-19 is battering Black communities. Despite only accounting for 30% of the city’s population, Black people make up 60% of Covid cases there and have the highest mortality rate out of any racial or ethnic group.

Most Chicago Covid-19 deaths are hyper-concentrated in majority-Black neighborhoods such as Austin on the West Side and Englewood and Auburn Gresham on the South Side.

“The racial and ethnic gaps we’re seeing of who gets the virus and who dies from it are not a surprise,” said Linda Rae Murray, a Chicago doctor, academic, social justice advocate and former president of the American Public Health Association as well as the former chief medical officer of the Cook county department of public health.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

still goin' great

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Well, I've tested positive. Here's my timeline:
    Sometime during the night Wed/Thurs, I woke up feverish. When I first got out of bed, I had a bit of a temperature. By the time I left for work, I checked it again, and it was down. I was checked entering work, and no problems. About 3 p.m., we checked it again, and it was over 100. I wasn't coughing or having breathing issues. I was just warm.
    I got rapid tested about 6:30, and sure enough, I'm a statistic.
    I had a fever most of last night. I piled on blankets and wore a t-shirt to bed. I had to get up twice to change shirts because I soaked them through. When I got up this morning, my temp was 97.7.
    Other than being slightly stuffy, I feel fine. If it wasn't for the fever, I honestly wouldn't have thought much of it other than typical fall allergies or whatever where we have 35-degree temperature shifts in the course of a single day.
    I still have to isolate myself until Nov. 2. Does anyone know if there is sort of an "out of the woods" day after testing positive? For all I know, I could rapidly decline by lunchtime.
    My only real concern is that I've passed it along to my elderly parents, but I've always tried to do a good job of not getting real close to them and limiting the time we are together.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's going to be a rough next couple of months. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted