1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Why you should be skeptical of Russia's coronavirus vaccine claims

The state of play: The vaccine race has become a competition between rival global powers. Getting the first viable coronavirus vaccine would be a boon for Russia's international prestige, which Putin is desperate to bolster.
    • According to the U.S, U.K. and Canada, hackers linked to Russian military intelligence have attempted to steal vaccine research in order to aid their own efforts.
    • Former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb tweeted that the announcement "may be another effort to stoke doubts or goad [the U.S.] into forcing early action on our vaccines." He also told CNBC that he "wouldn't take it."
    The big picture: There are three vaccines worldwide — one each from the U.S., U.K. and China — that have entered or are headed toward phase three trials.
    • There are at least 16 other vaccines currently in clinical trials in Australia, France, Germany, India, Russia, South Korea, the U.K., the U.S. and China.

OscarMadison, garrow and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

SFIND and Mngwa like this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: Hydroxychlolrquine, boosting of. This is high school algebra class on a global level. If you think Train A from Chicago will meet Train B from Denver at noon in Kansas City, show your work.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

:(

[​IMG]

maumann likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Listening to experts is elitist according to this guy. So who should we listen to? Dimwits?

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

My kids school started today. Today. Our numbers are looking better but this is a massive influx of people coming together. She opted to do online for the first four weeks. Definitely had some moments of regret this morning. And it's not going to be easy, it's senior year and this totally sucks. I just hope there's no outbreak and she can go back to school.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It seems to me as if you made the right decision. We just got the parent survey today because New York schools don't start until September. My daughter is also a senior. The choice is a hybrid with her in the building one out of every three days or all virtual. She said she wants to be there as much as possible, so that is what we are doing, but that is a few weeks away and the numbers are relatively good here. My daughter is definitely upset about what this will do to her senior year. There are events, big and small, that she is probably going to lose and can't ever get back. All I could tell her is to focus on what is in front of her, because while we know how the school year is going to start, we don't know how it will end yet.

I also told her if she sees people not wearing masks or engaging in other reckless behavior, I need to hear about it, especially if the teachers and the school don't address it immediately. I'm usually the easy parent to get along with, but if a teacher screws that up or the school screws it up, they are not going to enjoy dealing with me.

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Asked to comment about criticism of his plan, Thayn said, "Look, I'm just doing it for the public good."

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to you and your kid. This decision was going to have cons no matter which way you went. Glad you made a decision to keep your daughter safe. Best of luck to you. Try to keep organized. Allow some levity. Don't be afraid to ask for help. And be ready for her to be pissed off about all of this. Hopefully you can get back sooner rather than later.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted