1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The problem for the school is they would need to prove the photos caused a disruption to the learning environment. Is putting photos exposing the dangers within the school enough to prove there was a disruption beyond telling parents there is a real threat to their kids being in school? Did the school go through the social media accounts of every other student and punish them? Can they do that?

Like I said, this case would be interesting to see play out.

2. Spartan Squad

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I am now curious if DeWine's first test announcement was a way to get around a public appearance with Trump.

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I'm sure the MAGA contingent here seriously considers that fact. They were already ripping him for the mask mandate, saying his infection proves masks are worthless.

In reality, it's just another example tests aren't (anywhere near) 100 percent accurate. I remember reading a couple of stories a few months ago when those rapid tests were first getting used that they can especially have higher rates of inaccuracy, though I recall false negatives being more of a thing with them than false positives.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In adults.

COVID kid deaths (14 among ages 5-14 through July 8) are still a fraction of flu kid deaths (144). And that's despite the incredible advantage COVID has (no vaccine, learning about it from scratch, etc.).

That does mean something.

6. tapintoamerica

If football is actually played, the willingness to believe the rapid tests that are negative will be the key to completing any season.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

How many adults have caught COVID from an infected minor?

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. tapintoamerica

We may find out shortly in SEC country. Check particular counties in Georgia in about a month.

9. Spartan Squad

And what's the mitigating factor in this? I'll give you a hint it rhymes with Fools Ropin'.

Also what about the families they bring it home to? And before you throw Germany in my face, keep in mind that study was done in an area with an already low community transmission rate in a country that took aggressive measures.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. BTExpress

Don't know. And that's something, too.

But it's not like kids never come into contact with adults outside of school. They come into contact with many more, actually.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  11. Spartan Squad

If kid A has a family with someone at risk and took measures to limit contacts and kid B has a family that has been looser with limits. Kid B brings it to school and infects kid A who brings it home to his family along with kids C, D, E, F .... N, O and P.

And that's the problem. The problem isn't the kids who played fast and loose with restrictions. It's them mixing with the kids who didn't.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  12. BTExpress

They might be mixing with them at baseball practice this summer. Or the local pizza joint. Or wherever kids hang out together.

I don't think we're still in stay-the-fuck-home mode. Not based on all the kids playing in my neighborhood every day.

One question I don't think I've seen answered: If remote learning is the norm for the 2020-21 school year, are expectations the same as last spring?

Nobody can fail? Nobody has to turn in their assignments? Nobody really has to even log in (thousands in my city's school system didn't)?

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools hasn’t heard from about 3,000 students since schools closed

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted