1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Talk about jumping the gun ... Abbott reopened the state five years before COVID-19 even started!

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. doctorquant

I'll remind you that the origin of this latest meander was this headline: "Texas 'wide open for business' despite surge in Covid-19 cases"

The thought of those dumb Texans two-stepping their way through a cloud of Coronavirus particles may warm the cockles of journalists and headline-writers elsewhere, but the Lone Star State is absolutely not "wide open for business" in these times of crisis.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Brother lives in Dallas area. He says other than near the border, live goes on as usual. So, there's that.

5. doctorquant

There is not, nor will there ever be, such a metric. One can say right now that things are, in a way, better: Compared to late spring, half as many people are dying even though half again as many people are getting it. One can also say that things are getting worse: Both infections and deaths have been increasing since late June/early July.

One could argue that things will not be "good" until all of this is past ... which may never happen. But if, say, a year from now, less than a thousand people a day nationwide are contracting COVID-19, I'm going to be pleased with that, and anyone who asks, "So you're OK with XXX,000 dead?" is going to be called out for his/her shit-for-brain-ish-ness.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. doctorquant

I live in North Texas. Life is not going on as usual. Yes, life is going on. But the implication that Texas is lah-dee-dahing its way through this is nonsense.

Also: What "near the border" is he speaking of?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’m sure the kid appreciates her teacher’s disclosure on Twitter. (Presuming it’s an actual disclosure which, who knows.)

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Insult to injury.

Guardian used it twice.

Texas to remain ‘wide open for business’ despite dramatic Covid-19 rise

Texas 'wide open for business' despite surge in Covid-19 cases

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. doctorquant

Well, perhaps the Guardian hed writers should consider these ...

"Despite Covid-19 Surge, Texas Balks at Becoming New Rochelle"

"What Covid-19 Cases? Chicken-Fried Steak Still Popular in Texas"

"Texans Won't Add Crescent to Flag in Coronavirus Crisis"

"Lone Star Locks: Willie's Pigtails Still 'In' in Coronavirus-Ravaged Texas"

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. Bars in my red state have not been open since March. You still can't sit down in a Chick-fil-A or Taco Bell or Bojangles or dozens of other places where I live.

People are "congregating" at things that are social (weddings, parties), not the aisles of Hobby Lobby. Shame on them? I guess. But most of them are not exactly things a governor or federal government can stop.

I'm also amused that when the Northeast is brought up on here, the virus is just something that "happened" to them. But elsewhere, it's the dumbass "Trumpists" that keep spreading it.

Yet here we are in August, and the COVID-19 death scoreboard STILL reads New York 32,700+, all the SEC states combined 30,500+ (despite five times the population).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted