1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Agreed, but that's not the point. This graph shows whence comes that overall increase in Texas that has the Twitterati's naughty bits so warm and tingly.

2. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Well DQ, I mean, it kind of goes without saying the state numbers are going to be primarily driven by what's going on the largest cities, doesn't it though? As it happens, I'm in Houston where my wife works in the Texas Medical Center (where they were at 108% baseline ICU capacity yesterday, an all-time high) and without question they are definitely scrambling to keep pace. I have close family in rural South Texas areas though, too, and there the hospital systems have also been stressed in terms of what they can handle. The implication I took away from the graph and how the information was presented therein, was that the big cities were the ones experiencing the issues, and that isn't so...hence my comment.

cyclingwriter2 and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, that is a relatively significant 4-point swing (one is a 4.4% advantage, the other 8.4%). Would you call a 54.2-45.8 Biden victory a nail biter? Tell you what, I'll amend "very light red" to "light red." :)

Don't know how it works in Texas, but my county (Mecklenburg) traditionally has tougher standards than the state's. The only thing holding my county back is that the mayors in all five cities that touch this county have to be in agreement, and they aren't always. State doesn't intervene at all.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

For 3 or 4 weeks in the fall of 2001, Giuliani was a very great mayor. Maybe the greatest in the city's history over that brief, terrible time.

His daily attendance at the funerals alone was heroic.

But by the time he started talking about a 3rd term - despite public and political preference for the two-term limit - in mid-October, it was obvious he was the same old Rudy.

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  5. doctorquant

I created the graph not to speak to "the issues" (which, of course, are frightening ... I would NOT want to have to be out and about in Harris or Galveston County right now, and best wishes to your wife and family). Rather, I created it in consideration of the narrative of "Trumpists!" in Texas driving a growing (soaring! spiking! skyrocketing!) case count as revealed in state-level numbers. I was struck by how the growth in state-level numbers sure does seem to find its locus in counties not especially inclined toward Trumpism.

TowelWaver likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

True this. They cut out our combat pay (or, appreciation pay in corporatespeak) a couple of weeks ago. Of course, they probably believed Trump when he said this would blow over by summer. Now Santa Cruz County is on the verge of having to roll back some openings.
    So excuse me if I step away from this forum to get some riblets while I can.

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  7. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

I agree with that; it's not confined to rural or urban Texas at the moment...it's everywhere around the state, just in varying degrees. Thank you for the kind wishes for my family, and I extend mine to yours as well (particularly your daughter).

8. doctorquant

By the way, if anyone here wants to learn how to do a graph like my Texas map for your state (for any such reason), it's not at all difficult. Shoot me a PM and I can have you up and running in short order.

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I found the proportional squares to be very cool. A lot of little bitty red (correction: counties) make up for a few really large blue ones.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, man. I remember you discussing the pay issue earlier.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thanks. Got managers and my union rep working on other issues I had. And hell, still making more hourly than I ever did in journalism.

garrow likes this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Seconded on all the schoolchildren who has been impacted by this.

Great point on the rural-suburban disconnect. Even enough our cases are way lower than Atlanta's, our hospital-urgent care-testing facility capacity is probably being overtaxed worse than the suburbs, just because our patient-to-care ratio is (edit: greater). We have fewer options in situations like this, unlike a major metro which can manuever patients to more facilities.

SFIND and TowelWaver like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted