1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mugshots

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Jun 26, 2016.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

My dad was arrested for domestic violence before my stepmother admitted she was the aggressor and had lied in the police report. Didn't stop his mug from appearing in one of those parasitic publications

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Loiterers try just as hard as murderers [/sj.comsnark]

But it's not just online. I've seen magazines full of mugshots in convience stores. Obviously don't worry about anything but sales.

Ace likes this.
  3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

If quality newspapers use good news judgement when and when not to use mugshots, shouldn't police departments be held to the same standard? Again, if the person in question is a threat to the public, sure, post the mugshot. But if its John Smith who was hauled in for unpaid parking tickets, what good does that do? And if the idea is simply informing the public, turn off the goddamn comments. That's the part that really bugs me. I can't help but think that at some point, a guy is going to have the charges dismissed, and file a lawsuit against the police department.

JordanA likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted