1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muffet McGraw's comments on gender equity in sports, business

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 4, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's the point you are missing. They aren't complaining about men's opportunities to get coaching jobs being reduced by a tiny percentage. Do you really not get the problem with using discrimination to fight discrimination?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If an NBA player "won't listen" to a woman coach, that's not the fault of the GM doing the hiring. His job is to hire the best coach that his players WILL listen to.

If Tennessee would not consider Jeff Walz or Vic Schaefer --- assuming those coaches would be interested --- for its women's basketball coach, that is purposely not hiring a excellent coach that its players will listen to.

The reason there are no women's NBA coaches may be stupid and petty and backwards, but it is on the players and it's REAL as it pertains to putting the best product on the court.
    The reason McGraw has for not hiring a male has nothing based in putting the best product on the court.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I see the white liberal guilt coming out in full force on ... other message boards.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Her biggest mistake was openly saying she was going to start doing for women what men have been doing for each other for eons.

wicked, Donny in his element and HC like this.
  6. jr/shotglass

And in turn, I'd like to see documentation of female applicants for those positions that were turned down. Just sayin'. And to head it off, it's not good enough to say that they knew they wouldn't be considered, so they didn't apply.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That was a good piece by the Think Progress author. But I got the sense there was more the reporter wanted to reveal; more that McGraw wanted to say.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think NBA players would listen to a women's coach. I don't mean that in some kind of virtue signaling way, either. I don't think Russell Westbrook gives a shit the gender of his head coach, so long as that coach lets him rack up meaningless stats and wave off teammates to do so.

College is harder, IMO, because of recruiting.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It was pretty good, in the sense that the story allowed its sources to unburden themselves and really talk about stuff.

It was so-so, IMO, in exploring the perspectives of the speakers. (Which we may not think journalists are there to do, certainly not Think Progress.) For example, there's this line:

It is more difficult for black women to get second chances in this industry, as Buffalo’s Felicia Legette-Jack — who struggled to even get a volunteer position after being fired from Indiana — emphasized last year during the Sweet 16.

Legette-Jack was fired from Indiana in March 2012. She was hired by Buffalo - as HC - in June 2012. She was even out of the game four months.

Do the refs - many of whom are women - treat women coaches differently? McGraw says so. She also says she has no idea how Breanna Stewart got blocked on Twitter. She also says Geno can say things to players - who are women - that McGraw cannot say.

And it's not so much I doubt McGraw's takes (other than the Stewart thing) so much as I want a reporter to show me, OK, what can't she say? How is she treated differently by refs? Don't let McGraw fall back on Serena Williams' hideous behavior at the US Open - it's already been firmly debunked that women are penalized more often by tennis officials than men - tell me the women's basketball context. That kind of thing.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

A bunch of aging men have an issue with men being discriminated against. Film at 11.

Just wait until a black-owned business only hires black people. I'm sure I'll see y'all carrying signs on the front lines.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Everybody has a problem being discriminated against, and they should.

12. jr/shotglass

News flash: I don't want to be a women's basketball coach. But I do know the difference between right and wrong. That's a ridiculously lazy take on it.

Joe Williams likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted