1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MTV's The Paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

So it's been what, 15 years since you've watched MTV?

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I was the co-editor senior year, and had an enourmous crush on the other co-editor since like seventh grade. Back then I probably would've jumped in front of a train for her if she touched my hand or something.

Come to think of it, I'm glad MTV got this idea 11 years after I graduated. Really, really glad.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Anyone catch the episode where one of the editors comes up with the original idea of participating in football practice one day.

Thirty-four years too late for the kid. Next time, do a wikipedia search on Paper Lion.

4. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

I agree, in high school, working in newspaper was the cool thing. EVERYONE wanted to be in it simply to show off to their friends how their name was in the paper.

The "columnists" pretty much ran things, more or less, and that was attractive in HS.

Too bad it's pretty much all downhill from there.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

One fringe benefit that the guys covering the football team got was an attractive woman giving them their hernia check. Where was that when I was in high school? At least the bam-chicka-chicka-wow-wow bass guitar music didn't start up.

6. fremont

fremont Member

That was basically my experience. I was "selling ads" a lot and using my student media credentials to otherwise circumvent the school system as it pertains to the general student body. It was a blast, and I'd do it all over again. It was fun not having to worry about paying bills.

There is no proper journalism program at my high school anymore, and it is rather sad.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The guy who likes High School Musical who cried in class was pretty funny. This show is a sick obsession. But I've been living out of a hotel for the past month since I started a new gig and my family is 1,000 miles away, so I have too much time on my hands right now.

8. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

I've found this to be somewhat enjoyable, mostly terrible...but still better than 99% of what else is on MTV.

There are some funny moments, and I still watch them on my DVR.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Is it me, or does the editor in chief play to the camera just a little bit too much? That, or MTV is providing her with a script and she is "acting." It's probably a little of both.

Other thoughts: the adviser has lost control of her newsroom; I can't see myself being friends with any of those kids if I were in high school, with the exception of the hot chick with the bad attitude; it's gonna be ugly when the show is over.....

High school drama is one thing. But having it all caught on tape?

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Watching a block of episodes now. Better than most MTV shows, but then I can relate to being a newspaper guy more than I can, well, any other type of person on one of their shows. Amanda's not interesting enough to build the show around, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted