1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MTV's first 24 hours

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Jul 22, 2006.

1. sportsed

sportsed Guest

That video was like a cross between Back to the Future and Ben Kanobi's farm where Luke grew up. Good stuff, there.

Fun fact: Adam Curry would have been my boss for a freelance gig I once took. He owned some website creation conglomorate in the mid-1990s and the event I freelanced was for one of his sites. Now he's all Mr. Podcast.

Jesse Camp was, without a doubt, the worst-ever MTV personality. No. 2? Chris Hardwick.

This thread also answered one of the trivia questions I'd never been able to find an answer to: What was the second video ever shown on MTV.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We got cable in 1983. I lived in front of MTV. One of the other first videos I always loved was "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" by the Police. Fun video.

As for VJ's, don't forget Dr. Dre and Ed Lover "Yo MTV! Raps" ... I won a ghettoblaster and a Yo MTV! Raps t-shirt one day. Someone eventually stole the ghettoblaster, though. Pisser.

3. sportsed

sportsed Guest

If you have the Yo! t-shirt it's probably worth more than the boombox. Hipsters.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Check out this page of 1500 80s videos:
    http://www.insuranceandnews.com/

5. Songbird

You are awesome. Thank you.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow ... click on the Carl Lewis video. I shouldn't have to explain why you should do so.

7. Songbird

Right off the bat, the Martika video strikes a nerve. Last time I heard that song was the summer of '89 after a break-up.

And I know a good buddy who's going to love the Marillion video.

This is like falling in love with MTV all over again. But where's Martha Quinn?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes!!! It has the two cheesiest videos ever (non-Hoff division): "Rock Me Tonite" and "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All!"

9. Songbird

"Say No Go" by DeLaSoul really was sharp.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The lone Hoff selection, "Looking For Freedom," certainly didn't disappoint -- plenty of unnecessary smiling, Knight Rider footage.

Also, Samantha Fox is smokin', Kip Winger has really white teeth and Freddie Mercury's rendition of "The Great Pretender" may just be the gayest video ever. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Great clip from the Go-Gos: Head Over Heels on Joan Rivers' talk show in 1984. Man, Belinda Carlisle was in main cherubic mode, and Kathy Valentine was the only one remotely enjoying herself. Them breaking up after that album was no surprise in light of this finding. And I liked the Jason and the Scorchers video because I know a member of the band. One problem: Why only one from each group?

And to rubadubdub: Don't watch I Know What Boys Like by the Waitresses. It'll definitely play into your fears about women.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

For those who are curious, the current MTV/MTV2 programming:

MTV: Pimp My Ride
    MTV2: Pimp My Ride

Kill these fucktarded channels off now.

Draft saved Draft deleted