1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MTV's first 24 hours

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Jul 22, 2006.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Can't forget Kari Wuhrer.

Was on "Remote Control", but I believe she also was a VJ, though I don't know for how long.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I kind of liked Julie Brown, too. Not the "Earth Girls Are Easy" one -- the "wubba wubba wubba" one.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Alive, Dead or Canadian?"

And the non-MTV Julie Brown was much hotter (tho hot in a slutty way)

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I hated her with a passion.

And my memory for "maybe this happened" stuff seems to be terrible this week, but I'll try again. Did she not have a meltdown at some MTV event, complete with the F-bomb, after which her career was shortened?

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I liked some "Remote Control" in the day, but it went stale fast. And I fear it started MTV down the road away from music videos.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

They were both on MTV, actually.

http://www.answers.com/topic/julie-brown

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

It sucked enough to be on UPN. I saw a few episodes and the writing was just god awful in that "can't change the channel" sort of way. Jennie Garth and Amanda Bynes were hot enough talented enough to make the material quasi-watchable, but the fact that show lasted four years makes you wonder how bad a show has to be to get cancelled before that.

And Oz, bro, you are KILLING me with your favorite VJs. :D Julie Brown was unwatchable. Not one redeeming thing about her. Not even her status as the first idiot to crash the Super Bowl media day.

One more VJ I forgot: Karen Duffy, better known as Duff. She had a rare form of cancer that forced her from the air in the early '90s, but last I heard/read she was doing OK and living in rural Connecticut.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was already happening. They had wrestling as far back as 1984.

And remember the show coupled with Remote Control? The Half-Hour Comedy Hour...hosted by Mario Joyner. I'm pretty sure Jerry Seinfeld guest-hosted one episode too. Actually, that show was often damn funny. I remember one guy who lip-synched "We Are The World" that had me doubled over in laughter. I'd love to find that clip on Youtube.

And not for nothing, but 2 Live Crew's "Banned In The USA" is on the Classic now. I never saw this video when it was new.

10. Bubbler

Excellent list. There's some songs in there I didn't even know had videos.

And I can't wait to see Andrew Gold's Thank You For Being A Friend. I wonder if SportsJournalists.com's Masturbation Squad will go all zoo monkey at the thought of Betty White?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've seen it (the video for Thank You For Being A Friend, not zoo monkeys going ape at Betty White). It's hilariously bad.

The video I really want to see is "Baker Street." That's one of my all-time favorite songs.

12. Bubbler

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen that video.

Lots of Cliff Richard on that list which translates to lots of hilarity.

MTV debuted in a decidedly bad era for rock. 1981 kind of blows.

Draft saved Draft deleted