1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MTV's first 24 hours

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Jul 22, 2006.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I may be glued to the classic for 24 hours straight. Fucking awesome.

2. patchs

patchs Active Member

If only they could air the original commercials as well.
    And why do they need a host?
    Just run the damn thing, how many people are going to need someone to explain.
    Barely ANYONE under 30 watches VH1 Classic.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Agree 100 percent. Just run it uncut, as it was. If you're interested in it, you don't need somebody to explain it to you. And if you don't get it, even BYH couldn't help you out.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

The irony is VH-1 Classic is airing the first 24 hours of MTV as it goes down the same Shit Boulevard as MTV and VH-1...nowadays, the Classic is like a dumping ground for the worst of VH-1. They're starting to air all sorts of rock-related movies, snarky "100 greatest" shows hosted by people who are too cool to have enjoyed this stuff the first time around and stupid VH-1 reality programming (like "supergroup"). For instance, today from noon to six, they're playing a Monkees movie and the 100 Greatest One-Hit Wonders.

When the Classic does show videos, it's in the narrowest of niches. I saw "Iron Man" twice during a five-hour Metal Mania a couple weeks ago. And their newest show, "The Vault," is supposed to show obscure videos, which it typically does. Except the same episode runs three times a week.

Just. Show. Music. Fucking. Videos. Is it that fucking difficult? Why does every off-shoot of music television end up airing reality TV shows 24/7?

Anyway, I look forward to the special and the old-time MTV spots. And I hope Lynn Hoffman gets naked. I love her. Did I say that out loud?

5. Can anyone name every VJ MTV ever had? Could swear the guy that co-hosts a movie show on FX was a VJ at one point.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can probably get thru around 1992. Let's see:

Of course, the originals:
    Mark Goodman
    Martha Quinn
    Alan Hunter
    Nina Blackwood (yuck...my babysitter !!!! and I used to make fun of her)
    JJ Jackson (RIP to the only black man seen on MTV for the first two years)

Adam Curry
    China Kantner (yum)
    Melissa Reeves (yuck)
    John Norris
    Karen Hunter (may have the name wrong; an African-American woman on the channel around 1991 or so)
    Pauly Shore (ack)
    Riki Rachtman (poser)
    EDIT: Matt Pinfield (the cuddly skinhead)

Carson Daly (aaaaaaaaaaaaah)
    Simon Rex (I will now light myself on fire)

Damn, I'm not as good as I thought I was. I'm sure I'm missing a lot from 1985-1992.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Don't forget my boy Kevin Seal, Sporting Fool, from that late '80s list.

And yes, I will DVR some of those first 24 hours. Perhaps the first hour, but that's it, simply to make sure that I don't overdo it.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That dude was funny. but was he a VJ or a personality? The contemptible Dan Cortese inexplicably had a show on MTV, but I don't think he was a VJ.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I believe he started as a VJ, then became a personality with "Amuck in America" and shows like that. He was hilarious. Probably my favorite VJ of that era, along with Pauly Shore. (Shut up. :D )

Nowadays, it's Pittsburgh's own Jim Shearer, who hosts Subterranean, which I DVR every Sunday.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Now that MTV is part of Viacom, some of the fucktarded, long-farmed-out VJs end up on lame shows within the Viacom family tree.

Simon Rex and Dan Cortese were both on "What I Like About You," and I think Bill Bellamy was on some fucktarded UPN show.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wasn't What I Like About You a WB show? Or was it produced by Viacom?

There is no explanation, none at all, for Dan Cortese's career. He was never funny, never entertaining and he never struck me as an extreme sports guy. He must have pictures of some execs engaging in necrophiliac bestality. He needs to guest on your very special Steve Sanders' Shooting Spree episode of 90210.

Good call on Bill Bellamy. God, that guy sucked too.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

No, it was WB. You're right. For some reason, I was thinking it was on UPN.

Draft saved Draft deleted