1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MTV's first 24 hours

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Jul 22, 2006.

1. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

All valid points, but if I were writing, say, a thesis on it, I'd say that Duran Duran benefited most from the creation of MTV. The video of Hungry Like the Wolf definitely pushed that song forward, as well as most of their other hits.

BTW, just say the intro to hour 1. Lynn Hoffman is cute, but that intro sucked hard.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Damn, this is pretty cool! (Airing right now on VH1 Classic in case you want to watch)

I have to say, I totally dug that Rod Stewart song "She Won't Dance", I had never heard it before. I'm a sucker for Rod rockers, even from his "decadent" period in the late 70s. Not on par with the Faces and his early rockers, but enjoyable nonetheless.

HOLY SHIT! Now the story can be told! "Little Susie's On The Up" by PhD is the inspiration for Dana Carvey's Chopping Broccoli skit from SNL.

3. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I'm watching this now and we should have known then that MTV wouldn't always be about the videos. So far it has only been the countdown of a Space Shuttle launch.

I WANT MY MTV!!

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

God, this sucks!
    Where are the original VJs?
    Why is there a woman talking about MTV?
    I can't believe they screwed this up.
    It's so SIMPLE; replay the first 24 hours, as it was 25 years ago.
    If you want to do a program on MTV's impact, air it AFTER.
    What a frigging disappointment.
    :mad:

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

They've got Lynn Hoffman cutting in on the thing? That TOTALLY blows (not that she isn't hot). You're exactly right; they should have DUPLICATED the first 24 hours.

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

They aren't even showing all the videos they played. Assuming the list back on page 1 of this thread is the original running order they are skipping some. They bounced right over the Who.

Draft saved Draft deleted